Benromach Imperial Proof

Benromach // Speyside, Scotland

1. LeeEvolved

I don’t have much experience with Benromach. I believe I’ve had the 10 and maybe 1-2 of the vintage Peat Smoke offerings, but that’s it. I wouldn’t say I avoid this distillery, as everything I’ve tried has been solid to very good, I just don’t seek this one out. No real reason why, I just don’t. However, my friend @Telex (from MD) graciously sent a bunch of us a pour of this one: known in the US as Benromach Imperial Proof (not to be mistaken with the 100 Proof bottling- both are the same whisky and are just labeled differently depending on market). Imperial proof is 57% by U.K. standards. So, this one is 57% ABV and is a muddy copper in color and oily, with sparse legs and very tiny droplets left behind after a spin in the taster. The nose has lots of spicy aromas: black pepper, wood spice, even a little Christmas spice mingles about in there. The backbone here is provided by a fresh, leathery note and some light orchard fruit. Crisp apples and pears imply a subtle sweetness awaiting you on the tongue. The palate really kicks things into gear with the woody notes washing across the tongue. Orchard fruits keep the heat at bay, initially- but when it arrives it really takes command and pushes the soft stuff away. The nose doesn’t prepare you for the onslaught of heat that comes by the middle of the sip. There’s a real fire here that can’t be denied, although it is surprisingly smooth for not only the age, but the higher strength. You really need to enjoy a wood-soaked style of whisky here to be thoroughly entertained IMHO. The finish is long, steadily warming and once again, woody. I can’t get over how butter smooth the liquid is, though. I would’ve guessed this was a much older dram that was left lingering in virgin oak had I not known what I was getting into. This one seems like it would play well for a barrel strength, wheated bourbon drinker. In the end, it acts older than it is and that should be its claim to fame. It’s not complex and it just does what it does quite well. I’m not exactly sure of the price point, but if it was a $50-60 bottle I’d say it’s a great deal. I have a feeling it’s more expensive, since it’s single malt, and that’s where I’d have to hold it more accountable for its shortcomings, like lack of depth and complexity. Not knowing price- it’s a 4 star dram. Maybe I need to look into more Benromach offerings- especially for those times I want to feel like I’m drinking a well-crafted bourbon instead of a scotch whisky. Cheers, my friends.
  2. Scott_E

I first experienced Benromach through the 10 year and found it to be a well crafted, flavorful dram. The Peat Smoke was good but not equal to the 10. Now the Imperial was provided through a generous pour by @Telex. This is one I have not seen in my region and appreciate the opportunity to finally taste. Some research details that this was cashed 80% ex-Bourbon, 20% ex-Sherry & 12 month Oloroso cask finish. All served at 117 proof. The color is a yellowish brown. There is a faint leather opening and mustiness that greets the nose. This pattern holds for a fair length. And then the sweetness arrives. Butterscotch, apple crumb pie with cinnamon and caramel drizzle. Buttered whole wheat toast and roasted, glazed walnuts. A full and busy nose, but it’s not disjointed. The body is thick and velvety and slides in indiscreetly and then explodes with a potpourri of flavors: spice, sweet, mineral or earthiness and wood. Brown sugar, caramel, cream soda, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, oak, oak char, toasted coconut, oranges and apples. A touch of water brightens the nose and the caramel and sugar comes forward. The sweetness on the palate is also amplified and the spiciness squelched. However, the weightiness and thickness of the body is diminished. An oaky dryness coupled with traces of caramel and brown sugar provide a long finish. Oak char, tobacco and mint are detectable and all flavors ride out to a deep, warm finish. This really needs time, lots of time, to lure the aromas and flavors. The high proof provides some weight and beefiness to the malt. It’s sweet enough to enjoy after a meal and may pair well with a cigar given the spice and sweet. The addition of water provides a sweeter dram and provides and opportunity to enjoy this in two variations, depending on your mood. A beefed-up 10 Year. Quite well crafted; quite tasty; quite good. [90/100][Tasted: 6/21/19]
  3. sschaeffer28

NOSE: cocoa powder, biscuits, raspberries and barbecue PALATE: toffee, chocolate, cinnamon, red berries, barley, with a touch of peat to round it off FINISH: even more chocolate Delicious and clearly a product of a distillery doing it old-school
  4. whiskyteacher

Nose starts off with a slight smokiness, then butterscotch, brine, vanilla cream, and a bit of lemon. Palate has a oak spiciness, lemon, butterscotch, dark fruits, and malt to end. Finish is sweet, salty, and smoky. There are some sherry notes as well.
    100.0 CAD per Bottle
  5. whiskyteacher

6. DrBooze

Wonderful dram through and through. My first introduction to Benromach, but it certainly wasn’t my last.
  7. WhiskyWeekly

Nez puissant et très caramélisé, avec toutefois une pointe de fumé. Attaque franche et raide qui laisse place à un whisky puissant et torride, dans une belle alliance de vanille, de caramel et de fumé. On sent bien le 100° Proof mais sans que cela n'agresse trop. La finale est très longue et très agréable sans être trop puissante. Au final, un excellent whisky mais très puissant, dans pas à la portée de tout le monde ou de toutes les occasions.
    55.0 EUR per Bottle
  8. Jean-Philippe-Borquez

fruité, fumé, puissant et onctueux! Abunadh rencontre Highland Park! suprenament impressionnant!
  9. Frippe-Johan-Fristedt