Brugal 1888 Rum

Brugal // Dominican Republic

1. Kurt-Niemeier

2. PriceIsRight

3. Samuel-Moldenhauer

Smack dab in the middle of bourbon and rum. Smooth but not too sweet, okay but not too earthy. Very pleasant tasting.
  4. Texas

Heavy fruit and nutmeg. For a Rum..,this is top notch! Great after dinner drink..,best neat but good chilled!
  5. Jerry27

6. Kern

Fruit, wood, earth, very smooth, long finish
  7. Zachary-Robbins

I received this bottle for free many years ago, I believe in 2014 or 2015. My bottle does not resemble the bottle pictured on here, so it's an earlier design and possibly different tasting liquid based on what casks are listed. These are the details on the bottle. Year - 2013 Batch No. 3 Cask - White oak, American oak, Spanish oak Tons of brown sugar, molasses, and dark fruit sweetness on the nose. Some baking spice and oak, but it's overpowered by the sweetness unless you deeply inhale. Then the oak maturation and age are more prominent. That sweetness carries through on the tongue, but it is surprisingly light. With this nose I expected a denser mouthfeel, but I'll chalk up 90% of that to the watered-down 80 proof final product. The flavor does a 180 on the finish, almost resembling a sweet bourbon finish. It is less sweet and much drier on the back end. The oak, tannins, and baking spices more prominent than the nose and plalate. I get a stronger hint of ethanol here, but it dissipates quickly. Overall I've enjoyed this bottle even though rum isn't my go-to spirit of choice. It is a good sipping rum that many would enjoy neat. I think my limited experience with good aged rum has taught me this is the best starter spirit to change the drinking habits of friends who only like hard liquor in cocktails, on the rocks, or as a shot. If your friend doesn't want whiskey neat, try pouring them an aged rum first.
  8. swoop225

Rich butterscotch on the nose.
  9. worth1121

Exceptionally smooth, the sherry is very present in the flavor, rich and sweet with fruity notes
  10. JaimeCandelario