Compass Box 3 Year Deluxe Blended Malt

Peated Blended Malt

Compass Box // Scotland

1. dhsilv2

I don't know why I'm doing another review but I've been wanting to open this and see if this bottle is turning or if it's getting better. I've got about 6 oz left in the bottle and it's been there for a while. Gold color - with a touch of finishing gives it a nice look. Nose - bubble gum, oily citrus fruits, I don't get smoke but I get an earthy undertone. Oh wow how did I ignore vanilla, Huge vanilla. Taste - Citrus, bold bright over powering. Some spice. Oily, spicy, touch of oak, pepper. But this is so much sugary dessert. Finish - my god this finishes as just pure vanilla and caramel. it's insane. A bit short for the age and cost but so good. So good. I originally thought this was not closer to a 300 dollar bottle, but with time oxidizing. Oh man, this is dessert, complex, old, insanely good. Man, I'm fan boying on this one now. I really want another bottle! That said we're not into those all time great elite pours. This is very good if you enjoy the dessert notes, the fruits, and a bit of waxy notes. This is completely worth 300 dollars.
  2. Jason-Fiebig

3. worldwhiskies95

A lovely dram with notes of vanilla, citrus, tropical fruit, and delicate smoke along with a nice creaminess.
    The Hawthorne
  4. sweetwheat

Nose - Apple. White wine. Brine. Taste - Litle peat. Seaweed. Honey. Salty. mouthfeel - little bite. creamy. Good. Try it if you find it.
  5. ScotchingHard

2oz at The Whiskey House in San Diego Their joke spoiled this for me just a bit. My palate this year has been destroyed by dipping into budget bourbons. I picked up this awful rotten oily nutty note from Larceny that I just can’t escape in poorly matured whiskies now. This is less than 1% 3 year old Clynelish, but I can taste it. The irony here is that the youngest whisky actually does make the biggest impression. There is no reason I should be getting that young nutty whisky on the nose and palate in something that costs so much. The expensive stuff is still quite delicious in this blend. Big wafts of ginger, caramel, crystallized fruits, and leather. Quite like 1980s Brora. The 3 year old whisky is there like a crying infant at the movies. Fuck infants. Fortunately, the finish is pure and the linger is gorgeous beeswax and dark spices. I thought about buying a bottle. Now I won’t. MARK: 89/100
    79.0 USD per Pour
  6. Stones

7. PBMichiganWolverine

I was looking forward to this sample all week. A week or two ago, I tried the Circus, and thought it was amazing. After that, I was afraid this might be a let down.. After all...it’s just a well aged Clyneish, with 10% Talisker. The closest this reminds me of is this one dessert I had in Lyons ages ago. They had this utterly decadent tart, made with pears, almonds, and a flaking of sea salt. Was rich, fruity, and a perfect complement after a lovely dinner. Now...here’s the true question: considering it’s $300, would I buy a bottle? It’s lovely...it really is. Rich, fruity, sinfully delectable. A 2 star Michelin worthy Pear au Amande dessert. But $300 is a freakin’ lot of money! Price agnostic, this is a 5 star whisky. And honestly, in today’s market, a 24 yr old Clyneish is about $300 ( a 21 yr old on MoM is listed as $290), and a 20 yr old Talisker is probably just shy of $300 (a 24 yr Old is $310). So...with that data point, maybe $300 is fair. What I’d like to know is if the 21 Clyneish or 25 Talisker are better than this, if yes...than this is overpriced. If no, then seems fair pricing. Now if anyone has a 21 yr old Clyneish and a 25 yr old Talisker, I’d be happy to further my analysis and arrive at a definitive conclusion...
  8. LeeEvolved

So, a sample of this found it’s way to my doorstep by a new friend who wishes to remain anonymous. I was really excited to get it because I happen to own a bottle of this one and have been having a hard time deciding whether I wanted to open it or not, due to the fact it’s rather expensive. $300 to be exact. I sure hope this one blows my socks off... This blend was John Glaser’s fantastic jab at the Scotch Whisky Association’s rules regarding the proper labeling of whisky bottles. They claim it’s against the law to assign a certain age statement to a bottle if said bottle has even less than a tablespoon of a younger whisky added to it. So, this blend has 0.4% of three year old Clynelish- therefore, by law, it can’t be considered older than 3 years. Well, the remaining whisky blended in is 99.6% malt aged over 20 years. But, it’s still a 3 year old, according to the SWA. The remaining whisky is 90.3% 24 year old Clynelish and 9.3% 20 year old Talisker. All games aside, let’s see how it plays out... The nose is flat out, incredibly sweet. Bubblegum, cotton candy, vanilla, honey and floral candle wax add a crazy amount of depth to this one. It’s dessert sweet with no oak or peat. I got zero smoke because the candy-like notes were so powerful. It was still pretty incredible. The palate continued the dessert theme with lots of oily, thick honey and beeswax. It felt chewy. I remember those little, kool aid filled, wax bottle candies from when I was a kid. I used to bite the tops off and drink the liquid and had to really restrain myself from chewing and eating the wax caps. I wanted to, but I was so scared what would happen if I did, so I spit them out after a good, mushy chew. This CBW has that same mouthfeel and taste nailed down. Except, this stuff is safe to drink. Nostalgic win for me. Here’s where the train came off the track, IMO: the finish. This thing was a Talisker pepper bomb. I wondered where the Island whisky influence was going to come into play- and here it is. The problem- it’s ridiculously spicy. It was so peppery it clashed with the residual sweetness and left a very undesirable flavor hanging around. The finish is long, too. I didn’t get any smoky aspect, from start to finish, and the lingering candy/pepper mix really turned me off. It took what was assuredly a 4.5 star dram down to a 3.5 star. I couldn’t get around it. Overall, I wanted to love it- and it started out so well. I have a full, unopened bottle now that I’ll proudly declare isn’t worth anything close to $300- and I have absolutely no desire to open it in the future to give it another try. So, I’m stuck. I appreciate my friend sending me a pour, but now I’m annoyed that I have a bottle of this to deal with. I guess the safest bet is to put it away and see if time and limited numbers work to my advantage and I can recoup my money somewhere down the road. I can’t say I recommend this one, either, which is a bummer because I love 95% of everything I’ve tried from Compass Box. Oh well, I’ll be reviewing The Circus here soon and hopefully that one will be something redeeming, but at $300 too, I have my doubts now. Cheers, my friends.
  9. Rick_M

At 49.2% ABV, the rusty gold spirit sticks to the side of the glass like honey, confirming a majority stake in well aged Clynelish. The first pass of a 5-star nose is greeted by ethanol appearing younger and more vibrant than it should for a blended malt averaging 23.41 years. Juicy Fruit bubblegum and candle wax break through first, followed by vanilla, fresh orchard fruits, and hazel nuts. Despite a tithe portion of Talisker, little hint of smokiness could be found, probably due to 20 years of sherry butt aging. A luscious mouth feel gives way to honeyed vanilla, baked apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, zesty citrus, and peppery effervescence. A dry, lengthy finish is dominated by more spice, oak tannins, and pepper. Although very satisfying, it just doesn’t pop like its kin, CB Circus. A little heavy on the pepper side has this one falling an iota short of 5 stars, but still a tremendous Compass Box expression. A few more days of oxidation may tame the pepper.
  10. ant1