Compass Box Flaming Heart (Sixth Edition)

Peated Blended Malt

Compass Box // Scotland

1. DramItToHell

Peat smoke, sherry, strawberry, and salt are some of the aromas. This is dry and smoky. It starts with a quick sweet sherry note and develops into charcoal and bitter dark chocolate.
  2. Paul-Alvez

Nose: very strong black pepper and malt with a hint of the sherry cask. Honey, vanilla cream, and light caramel as well. Taste: christmas fruit cake with very lightest hint of some peat at the back. Very intensely sherried almonds and grapes. The peat represents itself as cheese and bacon grease after you get past the sherry notes. Very dry oak on the finish Water makes the nose very honeyed and crisp with pear notes. Taste is much of the same sherry notes with a long after taste of rubber
  3. Eric-Annovazzi

4. elycmw

5. Soba45

You can generally tell whether a limited run whiskey is a great dram at the right price point..if its sold out. 2 years later this still hasn't. At $130 there are probably a couple of hundred drams (literally) I'd buy over this. Similar to the Juveniles release I'm picking a price drop. CB has been just too detached from reality over the last couple of years in their special releases. No doubt COIVD-19 may put paid to that. Sometimes when they do something special it really is hard to put a price on greatness and it's hard to argue if it's overpriced or not. There is no hesitation with this one..it is. Peat monster is 40% of the price and not to far off this one (albeit a different dram). I heard this was a pale imitation of the original and that seems correct. Simple Caol Ila style dram, higher abv and lighter style wrapped in expensive clothing and priced accordingly. Move on folks nothing to recommend purchasing hear unless you see it 50% off. Even then just go for the real deal Caol Ila 18
  6. csmalex

7. SourKrause

8. Michael-Samoylenko

9. dhsilv2

Nose - smokey under tone. I get a deep earthy peat here, like the ground a few days after a camp fire. Followed by a lot of sherry - they claim subtle sherry, this ain't subtle. I do however still get some vanilla and bourbon oak as well. I'm forgetting the blend but I'm pretty sure we're looking at talisker and caol ila (sure about some of that one) for the peat. I get some talisker spice (I know I'll be called out as wrong for that but I'm risking it) and there's just a nature of Caol Ila I can't place but gives me this note. Maybe a bit of grassy oily waxy elements at the sweetness as well (I'll likely be wrong on that whisky in the mix too so I won't mention it, lol). Taste - Wow the flavor isn't what I expected. The bottle has been open since launch and been near half a bottle since launch (I hit this one hard to start). I get a berry, then a distinct vinegar based BBQ, touch of smoke, vanilla, some older oak, some leather, tobacco. I've never gotten this vinegar BBQ ever, i get a very "springbank" BBQ note, but NOTHING like this. This is sweet honey BBQ. As it tames that BBQ goes and I get a bit of a Caragiale like notes. The finish is pretty unique, bitter, touch of citrus, oak, vanilla, touch of sulfur, and a bit stale. I was going to give this one some fine notes for the nose but the flavor has dropped off. There's a lot of interesting flavor here, but none of it goes well together. I just can't give a compass box with peat a 1.5. 1.75 and only because of my bias. 150 bucks - just pass.
  10. jonwilkinson7309

Like many of you, I love Compass Box.  Basically every CB whisky - core offerings, limited editions, peated or non-peated, super experimental or classic expressions.  While it would be nice to have one of each, CB puts out a lot of different whiskies (22 current offerings, based on the on the CB website), with a fairly high rate of turnover for the special editions.  So I'm trying to be a bit selective. I've been particularly curious about the Flaming Heart,  so it was an easy pick from the Franklin Room's menu.   It lived up to my expectations - peaty, bold and a nice fruit sweetness.  No bitterness, not an off note to be found and a nice smokey finish.  Nevertheless, I really wish I could have tried it alongside Peat Monster, which I recall as being very similar, and considerably cheaper.  And at $100+, the Flaming Heart has strong competition from a few other CB offerings.  So is it a buy? In the immediate term, I answered the buy question the following day at Binny's in Lincoln Park (a great tip from @ANTONIOSCHMID).   The Compass Box selection at Binny's was phenomenal, as was the selection of local craft whiskeys and just about everything else.  Hard choices were inevitable. The Flaming Heart was on sale for $114, but in the end, I chose two different CB's - a first edition No Name, simply because of the degree to which the whisky senseis here rave about it, and the Lost Blend, because it also has some fine reviews and I suspect it will be a bit different from other CB peated offerings. However, it looks like the availability of the current Flaming Heart is good, and I haven't ruled out a purchase yet.
    The Franklin Room