Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza

Blended Malt

Compass Box // Scotland

1. stockman1777

2. ScotchingHard

The biggest problem is the name. This is not Spice Tree. This is not related to Spice Tree. Spice Tree is a great affordable blend that is very spicy. This blend is obviously older and more luxurious than Spice Tree, but it’s not necessarily better. It’s like if Spice Tree was a $3 taco at the standing-room-only, hole-in-the-wall taco spot that always has a line up because it’s that good; Spice Tree Extravaganza might be that “taco” at the fancy restaurant with a tasting menu that brings out their “re-imagined” deconstructed taco that has caviar and a gold leaf with some green sauce on the side. And you’re just like, “That ain’t no fucking taco.” They should have called this Fruit Tree. I might have given this a star if it just changed the name. It’s not a bad whisky. It wants to go down the fruity direction, but it’s half-hearted. About 50% of this blend is Glen Ord and Benrinnes matured in first fill sherry casks. You get feathery soft notes of red fruits, figs, and dates. A honeycomb and wax Clynelish style stands out more than anything, and there is some Clynelish in here. In terms of spices, there’s some vanilla, nutmeg, and clove; but it’s hardly a spice extravaganza. This blend tastes like it should be expensive, but it really does not stand out. The name and the packaging are definitely misleading. Score: 0 (forgettable) How much does a bottle cost: $105-140 at retail. It’s getting hard to find and is starting to show up at higher secondary pricing. How much do I think a bottle is worth: $90
  3. mylatehope

Joyal's Liquors Inc
  4. krayk1

5. acmiller

6. Josh-Romine

7. dhsilv2

Before I blow my taste buds with peat lets do this one. So another Glen Ord and Clynelish type dram with about 50% of this being not that old blends with 80% Clynelish and about 33% being decently aged Glen Ord. Nose - gives off a pretty good amount of sherry as well as that waxy note of a Clynelish. The fruit honey notes I get with really Glen Ord, Clynelish, and Dailuaine as well. I also get a bit of an orchard fruit as well. For a whisky with spice in the name, no spice here. Just a lot of sweet and fruity notes with a good healthy amount of sherry. Taste - My first though was the spice isn't here either, but I'm wrong. There's a nice french oak like bite that's covered up at first by sweet decadent creamy fruit vanilla and sherry notes but the oak gets to have a nice firm statement before the dram's finish takes over. I'm sure there's ginger and clove and other spices here, I've never really taken the time to really know those spices but I see notes like that on enough whiskies with some similarities to know that we'll have them here too. Overall a very high quality dram at about 125 bucks I don't think you're getting a bad value. That said a part of me just wishes he could have had the Glen Ord as a single cask, this sherry is nice. Score - I'm debating at 2.75 or a 3.0. The opening is a 3.0 easy and maybe higher. The spicy finish isn't optimal, it comes a bit out of left field and the actual finish is short. That said there's so many good flavors, it's well aged, it's 46%, it's not chill filtered, it's not colored and I'm telling you if the finish was on par with the start this could be getting into the special range. I'm going 3.0 and I really don't think anyone who's considering this one will be disappointed. I just don't think anyone will be wowed either. The standard spice tree is not remotely close to this quality and yes this is worth significantly more than the standard.
  8. elsuecocalmado