Cutty Sark Prohibition Edition

Peated Blend

Cutty Sark // Scotland

1. Riggsinator

2. jdriip

Slight sherry, burnt marshmallow, creme brulee and spices on the nose, oily, grainy, malt and vanilla on the palate, smokey, spicy, slightly bitter long finish. I feel the warmth all the way down my throat into my belly.
  3. William-Charles-Dunham

College Station
  4. LeeEvolved

I received this bottle as a birthday present back in early March from my friend Paul. I believe he had tried this before and thought I’d enjoy it, and knowing I don’t usually buy cheaper blends, he decided to make this part of my gift this year. Many thanks, @Generously_Paul. The Prohibition Edition is a throwback blend that differs mostly from the normal Cutty Sark simply by upping the ABV to 50%, from the typical 40%. It’s sunset gold in the tasting glass with tiny beads and sparse legs. It’s also quite slick and oily. I believe this bottle runs about $35 locally. The nose is predominantly butterscotch, heavy malt and candied corn. There’s some caramel and light citrus rounding things out. I mostly came away smelling butterscotch candies, however, even given some time in the Glencairn. The palate had a raw peanut aspect, along with toffee and butterscotch chews. There was some pepper spice creeping in by mid sip and the oily mouth coat left those pepper and alcohol notes stuck to my tongue. The finish was long and sweet, with vanilla and buttered bread hanging around, along with a lingering warmth and hint of pepper. Overall, this is the poster child for one dimensional malts. The butterscotch candy notes never wavered. The price point is excellent and the boosted ABV will hold up nicely in cocktails or over a few ice cubes. I’m just not as in love with this malt as a lot of reviewers seem to be. Yes, it’s easily approachable, cheap and crushable- it just doesn’t do much for me. I’d give it a solid 3 stars just on price and punch, but I don’t think this is a bottle I need to replace or keep around. Cheers.
  5. sdb077

6. jbourke33

Nose: orchard fruits, cream, a little ash, some acetone Taste: lemon candy, mint, a whiff of smoke, Finish: dry, fairly hot After reading reviews: didn’t get the baking spices. Finished it before reading that so will have to revisit- looking forward to it.
  7. cascode

Re-review. Nose: Prominent malt and caramel toffee with almost burnt sugar notes. Toasted cereal grains, an aroma reminiscent of cask-conditioned ale. Squill candy, sherry, honey, oil and dunnage earth. A little oak note. It's hard to believe this is a blended scotch nose. Palate: A warm, slightly sweet and oaky arrival with smoky tones in the background. As it develops, a wave of rich peppery sweetness emerges with hints of brown sugar, orange oil and brine. There is some dark bittersweet chocolate, treacle toffee and hard licorice as well to balance the palate. The texture is full and rich like a strong espresso. I noticed more licorice on the late development than the last time I tasted this. Again, really excellent structure for a blended scotch. Finish: Long. As the spicy and brown sugar notes fade you are left with a forceful sherry oak character that is almost rancio and an anise aftertaste. My last tasting of this was about 6 months ago, but this isn't a bottle-kill review - that bottle hardly lasted a fortnight and I predict this current one will expire just as quickly. What a great blended scotch. It really is hard to believe it's not a malt blend. Compared to Monkey Shoulder and Naked Grouse this much more assertive, and it could fairly square-off against the standard Compass Box blends. Highly recommended, it's not cheap but it's worth every penny - great for sipping and a wonderful mixer, it's just barely short of 4 stars. "Good" : 3.75 stars
    70.0 AUD per Bottle
  8. joeykeola

9. A330

10. FallenAsh

I saw this bottle originally in a Youtube video and was quite fascinated. Luckily, when I tracked it down in a local wine shop, they were selling it at a same price level as the original Cutty Sark. The aroma of the dram was the pinch hitter for me in my opinion. I got a burnt or crispy toast notes with a healthy dollop of honey and in between those notes, I've picked up a nutty and chocolate notes as well. The peat levels rise when tasting the dram. Got a whole lot of heathery peat kind of like Highland Park 12. The honey on the nose kind of evolves into this butterscotch character. Finish is medium at best with the toasty honey bread vibe that last a good 6 to 7 seconds before fading. I got to say one of my favorite blended scotch whisky of all time. I just really hope they can restock more soon.