David Nicholson 1843

Kentucky, USA

1. healthyjeneration

2. sojourner211

Sharp on the nose with heavy alcohol and just a slight hint of sweetness (honey maybe? If the bees had been alcoholics.) Classic bourbon notes start to make themselves known as it sits. On the palate it’s pleasant, but nothing to go crazy about. Worth a try at the price point ($22) but not one I’ll keep of the shelf.
  3. tassin

Strong alcohol, spicy, hot
  4. curtmcmahon80

5. TedStriker

Very sweet and smooth bourbon. Not a lot of bite. The big issue is a soap taste that I get on the finish.
  6. BourbonSage13

Nose-caramel , sweet vanilla Palate-Rather sweet,oak,vanilla,slight char and lemon,pretty spicy but somewhat thin and watery.
  7. Zachary-Robbins

I picked this up on a whim when I saw it on the discontinued shelf, knowing nothing about the product or brand. That was almost 1 year ago, and it's taken me a while to get through this underwhelming bottle. Oak and ethanol hit the nose quickly. There are dark fruits and dusty corn hidden behind it, but they are faint. It's actually a decent nose, standard bourbon profile despite it being a wheated bourbon. The nose is the best part of this bourbon. On the tongue I get bold notes of oak and corn. The pleasant spice and sweetness I typically associate with bourbon is absent. It then starts to burn on the finish. I love high proof bourbons, and this is harsher than almost everything I've tasted over 100 proof. It's actually more pleasant one year later after mellowing in the bottle. When I first opened it I would've rated it closer to 1.5 than my rating today. It tastes like a cheap whiskey I drank as a freshman in college, which should not be the case for a $30 bourbon. Although I love Heaven Hill, I am not a fan of Larceny. I wish I knew this was sourced from leftover Larceny and Rebel Yell barrels because that would've been an automatic hard pass. This is one of my least favorite bourbons to date. Luckily I can dilute this with Coke and Dr. Pepper to finish the last few pours in the bottle. I'm interested in trying the Reserve, but I'll try to find it at a bar first.
  8. Ctrexman

Very pleased to find this at Specs Liquors. Have read about this bourbon so grabbed a bottle. I really like wheaters- Weller, Larceny, even Makers and Rebel Yell. This is quite a different animal. Poured neat, thick legs coat the glass. Nose has dusty spice, glove leather, molasses, buttery oak and a whiff of smoke. Not your typical wheater. Palate is spicy oak and cinnamon with peanut shell, singed pie crust and a nice smoky char. Carries the 100 proof well. Quite tasty with a looong fantastic finish of oak, spice and char. Has the trademark HH peanut note but with wheater cake/pie crust flavor and an extra bonus of smoke/char. Im impressed with this DN1843. It does not taste like a standard wheated bourbon more like a hybrid. I never had the Old Fitz BIB but this is supposedly along those lines. If you can find this I recommend......85/100....Lip smacking good, Will tryout the DN Reserve next
  9. Jason_Hall

I own a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve, which I’ve reviewed. But now it’s time to try it’s wheated bourbon counterpart. The nose was somewhat muted at first, so I gave it a solid 15mins to open up. Now it has very dusty corn, sweet vanilla, light oak, honey, a grassy note, a light note of cooked stone fruit, and a little bit of some baking spices. The palate is bitter and a little sweet with a medium-ish body. There is honey, corn, light grass, wood shavings, and some spices. The finish is slightly bitter with lingering honey, corn and grass. After a while there is a slight peanut note that sticks to the checks. There’s a burn on the mid to back palate and the top of the throat. The burn lasts longer than the flavors. On the flavor side, it has a medium finish, but the burn goes on for a very long time. Not painful really, the burn just covers up the flavors, instead of enhancing them. Really not bad at all, but many more better options at this price point. It’s brother, David Nicholson Reserve, is the one to choose.
  10. mmessier77