Deerhammer Port Cask Finish

American Single Malt

Deerhammer // Colorado, USA

RARE
  1. PBMichiganWolverine

I was back in CO last week, and had a free small pour courtesy of the hotel bar lady. One of the benefits of staying at the same hotel is that the staff knows you, and offers free amenities ( water, drinks, breakfast, upgraded room when available, etc). I had this before a while back, but was hoping a 2nd try would change my opinion. It didn’t. This is just like the way I used to like my dates back in college: hot, young, and bland, devoid of any personality. Not sure it warrants any other time typing...so will end the review there...
  2. welc0127

3. Kevin-Christopher

4. darci

Fruity. Strong. Spicy going down
  5. PBMichiganWolverine

The best thing about staying at the same hotel during my monthly business trips to Denver is that the staff gets to know you. I was given a free pour of this by the hotel bar-lady. She had just got this, which according to her is not that easy to procure, since it’s a low yield and local allocation only. I liked Deerhammer’s original whiskey, but this seemed like it was more experimental and loosely put together. It’s aged for about 2 years, followed by 1 more in port casks. I loved the color—-this burnt sienna hue. Aroma holds promise. Dark cherry pie, butter slathered bread. But the palette...kinda falls apart there. Sticky oily mouthfeel. Very sugar-y, almost dessert like quality. First sip is just too astringent. A mash of different flavors coming at you, all claiming the center stage. And hot. Quite hot. Honorable start, but needs more time in the barrel.
  6. blakejacobs