George Remus Straight Bourbon Whiskey

George Remus // Indiana, USA

1. brasshurricane

"Very surprising, as it is much more complex than I expected. You certainly notice the rye, but beyond that there is a wonderful combo of different flavors. Not hot, but there is multiple spice notes while also having a sweet edge. Was he the ‘king of the bootleggers’? I don’t know, but this MGP product is very pleasant to sip and enjoy all night long. "
  2. The-Autarch

This came highly recommended by a local slinger of spirits. I think this would be great in a cocktail, but as it was recommended as an excellent sipper, I was disappointed. It's not bad by any means, but I found it to be sickeningly sweet. Likely just a matter of personal taste, but with such high rye content, I hoped for a spicier, drier dram. If you like your whiskey sweet and simple, this is your jam.
  3. kilkelly3d

4. tsunaminoai

Clean and clear taste. A bit bright on the pallet. In a few years this should be quite good
    6.75 USD per Pour
    Professor Joes Sports Pub & Pizzeria
  5. jsagstetter

6. dubz480

It's officially the holiday season and for me that means a whole lot more drams to help deal with the extra traffic and flock of snowbirds to the great state of AZ. A new gastropub opened close to the office so figured I'd check it out. This was a Bourbon I had been interested in as it's MGPs first forray into releasing their own stock with a brand they own. I like a lot of the Bourbons and Ryes that they are the source of (High West, Smooth Ambler immediately come to mind) so am interested to see how they do on their own. On to the tasting: The first thing that hits me is that for a high rye Bourbon the entry is very sweet. Brown sugar, honey and cherries. Nothing too rich which tells me this is younger stock. From there you get a bit of a spice swell but it stays in check for a medium finish with rye and a hint of oak. For the price of the pour this is a slightly above average Bourbon. I like it. Don't love it. For the $40 bottle price I'd probably pass as there are much better values. However, if you like your Bourbons on the sweeter side, you should give this one a try. It's also super easy to drink. Cheers all
    7.5 USD per Pour
    The Hungry Monk
  7. Cfred371

Look: Amber colored, slight lacing, and quite pretty alcohol legs Nose: cinnamon, clove, tobacco, some sweet brown sugar, vanilla, wood. This bourbon smells like bourbon, but more so. Really potent, in a good way. Taste: More woody astringent characters than the nose would give you, followed by the sweet baked goods, and a heavy dose of pepper and cinnamon to end it as well as red apple and slight banana notes. Finish: the finish is quite hot and spicy, with a lingering heat on my tongue, and flavor that lasts a few minutes. Sometimes, I get a higher bitterness in the finish, and I’m glad this bourbon is not like that. Overall: this bourbon is excellent, a complete surprise to me as I’d never heard of this spirit, and I got it from a coworker. All the flavors are there for a good bourbon, with not many of those bitter notes in the finish.
  8. sturty