Octomore 10.1/107 Scottish Barley

Octomore // Islay, Scotland

1. frese

2. boudreaux31

Holds up to its description as super pester yet still complex. For comparison, the Lagavulin 8 year is a blast of smoke that overpowers almost every other flavor. With this Octomore the smoke hits heaviest on the finish.
  3. Spamin76

The nose is pungent smoke, it's overwhelming. I get strong vanilla amongst a hint of burned rubber. I also get a hint of vegetable matter, like radishes or turnips. Wet stones and damp earth. Sharp, sweet smoke that quickly turns dry. It tastes like it has some sweet sherry like PX. Slight turnipy/radishy bite. Smoked salmon or trout. Yeasty, bready flavor. Pepper/mustard/horseradish burn. Raisiny. Bread pudding and lots of cinnamon. The only whiskies that I've ever had that had this level of flavor/complexity were from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. It's potent, overwhelming even, but in the best possible way. It's like being in a stone hut, in the middle of a massive storm, but having a roaring peat fire to keep you warm. I love this, but a single pour will last all evening. It's not something that I could drink regularly, but that is a compliment. Whenever I drink this, I feel like I get high, from sensory/peat overload.
  4. Spamin76

If you don't like peat, don't go into the same room with an unopened bottle of this. If you do like peat, strap in and hold on for dear life, because you are about to get schooled, Islay style. This is one of the most if not the most intensely flavored thing that I have ever drank. It's good, so good, but it's intense!!! There are some rare delicious whiskeys that I wish I could drink every day. This is not one of those. This is something that you endure. This is like wrestling with the essence of peat... which is a 900 pound grizzly, that happens to be on fire... The nose is peat smoke, salt, and smoked meat. The palate has a sharp salt and pepper bite. The peat hits you in the face but it also smoothly rolls in, like fog over the water, at the same time. This is definitely heavily peated, but it's actually much more subtle and complex than I expected. While drinking this, smoke envelops my whole mouth, and it feels like it spreads through my whole body in the process. There is a pleasant citrusy character, like lemon zest amidst the lingering smoke, and you can definitely taste the malt flavors, they are pleasant and fresh. The Bruichladdich character, the classic Laddie is here, but it's all dressed up in peat. Despite being so peated, the Laddie holds its own. The smokey finish goes on for miles and miles and miles... but it's actually quite complex. This is a veritable smoke rollercoaster. It's surprisingly drinkable given that it's so heavily peated, nearly 60% alcohol, and only 5 years old. I LOVE Laphroaig... but I'm now afraid that Laphroaig is going to taste like water from now on.