Old Duff Genever

Genever

Old Duff // Netherlands

community rating

4.0
4 out of 5 stars
( 1 )

Founded by Phillip Duff, this genever is produced entirely in Holland--a very rare thing these days. Additionally, the genever includes 53% maltwine which is made from 2 parts rye to 1 part malted barley. The grain spirit which comprises the remaining 47% is a wheat distillate.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

The botanicals used are juniper, orange peel, lemon peel, star anise, licorice, and coriander. Lastly, $1 from each bottle is donated to charities which benefit bartenders. As of March 2018, availability limited to New York City with London next on the list.

Founded by Phillip Duff, this genever is produced entirely in Holland--a very rare thing these days. Additionally, the genever includes 53% maltwine which is made from 2 parts rye to 1 part malted barley. The grain spirit which comprises the remaining 47% is a wheat distillate. The botanicals used are juniper, orange peel, lemon peel, star anise, licorice, and coriander. Lastly, $1 from each bottle is donated to charities which benefit bartenders. As of March 2018, availability limited to New York City with London next on the list.

  • age
    NAS
  • Cost
  • abv
    40.0
  • Genever
    Genever is a juniper-flavored spirit which combines a botanically-flavored, neutral spirit with a maltwine. Only made in Belgium, the Netherlands, and in specific regions of France and Germany. Jonge genever is made with a maximum of 15% maltwine. Oude genever uses at least 15% of maltwine. Korenwijn genever uses at least 51% of maltwine.
  • Cask Type
    unaged

Tasting Notes

"Old Duff Genever is all about showcasing the grain. Aromas of porridge, rye bread and sweet barley. There's a gentle fruitiness, on the nose as well as the palate, with hints of orange. The mouthfeel is creamy, with notes of cardamom and a whisper of aniseed. A perfect base for many classic cocktails."

Score 91
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

Flavor Profile

Oily

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

You may also like