Redemption Straight Rye

Rye

Redemption // Indiana, USA

1. bemost

It's fine and all, but doubt I would get a 2nd bottle - probably better options out there. Not bad, but nothing special about it that I can place. This is my 2nd tasting, after first opening it a couple months ago. I recall a more viscous, sweeter mouthfeel at that time. Maybe i'm just losing my mind? Anyway, the next rye I get will be something different, and I'll probably still have some of this left to compare it against. No complaints considering the $$.
  2. modlyzko

Great whistle clean cheap sipper. Solid cocktail base too
  3. TexasMonkey47

4. whiskeyed

5. anorably

6. dmoyer

Redemption Rye is yet another bottling of the 95% rye mash bill whiskey from MGP. Same as Bulliet, Dickel, and Templeton. And a few others I imagine that I don’t know yet. But while Bulliet and Dickel are solid ryes for the price point, Redemption leaves something to be desired. This whiskey is bottled at 46% ABV and is aged “not less than one year” in new charred oak barrels. Some write ups (including Distiller) have mentioned aging up to two and-a-half years. However, nowhere on the label does it claim to be “straight rye whiskey”, so I have my doubts. It may be a blend of barrels less than two years with a bit of slightly older stuff but in any case, this is a young whiskey and it shows. In the glass it’s a medium gold color, the first indication of its young age. Swirling leaves an oily coating but just a few slow legs. The nose is young grain whiskey, mild rye spice, a slight burn, and little else. There is a hint of fruitiness if you are patient enough to let it set a few. The palate is dry, minty, spicy oak. Little to no sweetness. The finish was actually unpleasant to me: just astringent, bitter oak tannins and an alcohol bite. This is not a good whiskey to sip neat. It does make a decent Manhattan; it’s dry, spicy character works well with the vermouth. This bottle was $24 locally. Not expensive, but considering the aforementioned Bulliet and Dickel can be had for the same or less, I will not bother with another one of these. 2.5/5. Cheers!
  7. jodie

8. Violentj502

Meh....it’s just ok. Grab some wilderness trail rye instead.
  9. goalie30