Rough Rider Straight Bourbon

Long Island Spirits // New York, USA

1. sceg

Really liked the first bottle I had of this, but I’m enjoying this one a lot less a year later. Still not bad, but I’m probably not searching for it again.
    Holme's Liquor
  2. Dustin-Johnston

Bottle has been open awhile. 2nd taste. Much fresher nose, I get a sweetness but I’m picturing yellow flowers or open fields. Smooth feel, easy swallow, but loongggg finish that packs some spice on the front of your tongue and gum line the longer you held it in your mouth to begin with. Feels young, tingly, & pleasant. No “Kentucky hug” and no harsh burn.....less sour than I remember. Still say it’s a very good change of pace. Non tradition but good.
  3. cae0506

Decent
  4. Mr_Peabody

Very rich fruity nose. As for the taste; I'd rank both vanilla and fruity aspects a little higher than the experts profile. I think it's a lovely sippin' bourbon either straight up or with 1 or 2 clear ice cubes.
    Total Wine & More
  5. leemconner

6. Dustin-Johnston

Batch 29 Sour-ish nose. You can tell it’s a little young, interesting butterscotch smell after you get through the alcohol. Definitely has a wine characteristic. Full & sweet. Finishes clean with a touch of warmth. Good change of pace.
  7. Court

One of my very favorites! Lots of great memories with this one.
  8. drinaldo32

Always nice to taste this one again. One of my favorites!
  9. Whiskey_Hound

Another offering out of NY. Like Widow Jane, I'm fairly certain that this one is sourced from MGP. It's a high-rye bourbon aged in Chardonnay Casks rinsed with brandy, all for a very reasonable price. Batch 32. Nose: Very dry and oaky. Leather, black pepper, clove, nutmeg, and allspice. Plum, grape, raisin, and black cherry. Some cocoa, butterscotch, almond, orange and grapefruit citrus, brown sugar, and caramel. It's oak forward with some spice and background sweetness. In fact, the it's far less sweet than a standard bourbon. Interesting. Palate: Once again, oak is front and center. Plenty of spice: black pepper, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice. Apple, caramel, cocoa, brown sugar, and vanilla. Almond, macadamia, and chestnut. Black licorice. Oak, spice, and nuttiness. Sweetness is detectable but tempered. Finish: No surprises here. Medium length. Oak and all the same spices (black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice). A bit of plum, raisin, black cherry presents itself briefly before the spice tingle dissipates. This is a solid value at $30 flat. The unique cask-finish choice pays off, especially on the nose. The palate could be better; it's structurally similar to the nose but devoid of all the really unique and notes I picked out in the aroma. The finish delivers a fine conclusion to this dram. I'm keeping my eye on this one. I'd like to see what they can do with their own distillate. I can see myself buying this from time to time. Solid entry-level bourbon. As long as you don't expect any more from it, it's well worth the money.
  10. briendiggs