Springbank 12 Year Cask Strength

2. Mark-Geissler

3. ScotchIrish86

4. Glencastle

5. Rosencrantz

(Batch 18) The nose is very cuddly and sweet, with the peat more mineral than toasted surrounded by ripe plum, dried apricots, candied orange, raisins in spirit, honey and chocolate. Tea leaves, scent of leather. Despite the important gradation, it is fresh and delicate. The warmth of the alcohol is released on the palate, but without biting, pushing the peat that reveals its fleshy side while remaining gentle, a puff of smoke on the sweet notes of caramel, cinnamon, ripe pear, candied orange, lemon zest. Mineral note well present, on the background damp wood and still leather. Rather long finish, of ash, plum, lemon, wood. An unusual yet recognizable Springbank, with a gentle soul that does not hide a rougher side, presenting itself with a varied and complex drink while remaining affordable.
  6. dogmatagram

57.1%
  7. jpaulm1971

Better than the 10 year only because of the long finish...
  8. Daniel-Emerson

Fruity, Mineralic
  9. lsuzorro

10. dhsilv2

57.1% batch 19 and 65% bourbon cask the rest sherry. I won't lie, I think these 12s have been best with more sherry but lets dive in. Nose - At first alcohol is a bit hard to unpack. The springbank funk and peat and light salt at there, but alcohol really is a struggle to get through. Once past that, the nose is super sweet, dessert levels. Heavy vanilla and creme brulee. Then i start getting jams and fruits. Rich, full body, but not overly complex by springbank standards at least. Taste - I think this takes the classic 12 funk, heat, intensity, and balance and just shifts things towards a really nice vanilla. I actually had a bit of a back and fourth on if this is heavy first fill bourbon cask or if perhaps there were some casks used just to start a whisky in bourbon and then those were used here. I tend to find first fill bourbon over the top but here it's high quality bourbon casking giving these rich vanillas, but where we disagreed was that I think the sherry casks in here are absolutely amazing for 35%. The fruity sherry notes come alive in the finish and carry this whisky to really great heights. As a savor this glass more, I'm starting to pickup that springbank BBQ note I get on these 12's and other more heavily sherried ones. I gave a black box 2015 a 3.25 which is a heck of a score and I'm doing the same here. I really love this bottle and at 100 bucks, I could consider buying another one or two.