The Glenlivet Nàdurra 16 Year

The Glenlivet // Speyside, Scotland

1. tjunkens

On the noise is a strong bourbon oak. Very spicy with no peat. Smooth like oak taste at first. Followed by a nice punch of spice. Has a toasted nutty cedar finish.
  2. mrozink

Oak, vanilla, honey. Heavy, nice and long after taste
  3. harerd

4. Chaiwalla

👍
  5. lphegwood

One of my favorite Glenlivets. Smooth, slightly sweet and great finish.
  6. Generously_Paul

Time for the third and final review of my Nadurra samples from @LeeEvolved This 16 year old single malt is the original version of the Nadurra line. It is matured exclusively in first fill bourbon barrels. The First Fill NAS expression is the replacement for this one. As with the previous ones, this is an all natural presentation. Bottled at cask strength of 55.3% ABV and is non chill filtered and natural color of yellow gold. This is from batch 0114A. Incredibly strong notes of vanilla and toasted coconut on the nose. Heavy bourbon oak, orange marmalade, orange peel/oil and cinnamon. A bit tannic and nutty. Quite sweet smelling as well with marshmallow, barley sugar, toffee, butterscotch and peanut brittle. Fruity flavors of green grapes, pears, melon, apples and a light pineapple. Some honey in there as well with Nila Wafers and more vanilla. A few times I got anise and fennel, but those were very fleeting. The palate opens with peppery bourbon notes with sweet vanilla and oak. Orange peel, apples, pears, coconut and a vague tropical fruitiness. Barley sugar, a bit of a grain alcohol feel and cinnamon red hots. Nila Wafers, graham crackers, toffee, butterscotch and light caramel. The palate pretty much follows the nose here with no surprises lurking. A medium bodied mouthfeel that is creamy and mouth coating. The finish is medium length with vanilla, bourbon, oak and is dry. Vanilla is the dominant theme here, and while it does this well I feel that everything else is taking a backseat and doesn’t shine enough. Maybe it was just an off night for me, but I don’t think this one is better than the NAS version. In fact I believe I enjoyed that one more than this one, despite the 16 year age statement. Still this is well made and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Any one of the Nadurra expressions is worth the time and money. A solid 4. Cheers
  7. Richardmailen

8. Andrew-Blodgett

Spicy, smoke, vanilla. Light burn.
  9. Wisco007

I have a bottle of 16 year that is coming to its end and thought I should do a little documentation before it’s gone. This is a 55.7% bottled 08/14, batch 0814D. I think Naddura is a great line, but new releases may be a disappointment from what others have said. Nose was vanilla and fruit, like a hint of a very ripe honeydew melon. Spicy on the palate neat and with a half ounce of water. Fruity in the sense of citrus with something like a tart berry or cherry, but in a pleasant way. I added another half ounce of water and the spice faded and made way for the sweeter and savory flavors to shine. Finish is fantastic. The feel is full but not particularly heavy. I thought the nuttier notes were more present in the finish vs the palate. Tobacco also comes to mind but too light and likely more oak flavor.
  10. Whiskey_Hound

I've got here one from batch 1214E, clocking in at a formidable 60.2% ABV. 16 years old, bottled in 2014. Many have claimed that Glenlivet's core line is too-watered down, tampered with, and generic. Let me be one to say that this a viable expression of Glenlivet for those of you who write them off for those reasons. Nose: Fruity and floral. Pear, peach, coconut. Marshmallow, toffee, and vanilla, and a bit of honey. Some caramel and orange citrus. Touch of cinnamon and oak at the end, but nothing that would indicate a whisky that clears 120 proof. Very good, not remarkable. Palate: Heavy on the bourbon cask notes. Vanilla, caramel, toffee, and cola. Very fruity; apple, plum, pear, apricot, and orange. Roasted cashew comes through in a big way. Graham cracker. About midway through, those subtle cinnamon and oak spice notes from the nose get turned up to 10. As the back of the box describes, the lack of chill-filtering results in a creamier and more full-bodied mouthfeel. Fantastic; this is where the whisky really begins to shine. Finish: It's more of the roasted cashews, and interesting barrel char note. Some of the darker fruits from the palate linger: Gala apple and plum. Cinnamon, baking spice, and oak carry this on and on for what is long and stellar finish. One of the best mainland Scottish malts I've had in some time. Hell, it may even be the best I've ever had within that specification. Uncut, non-chill filtered, 16 years old, under $100 (ran me $87). A palate fit for Gods and a finish that goes on forever. Nothing to complain about here. It's a shame that they dropped the age statement with the Nadurra releases. I'm fortunate to have found this one in 2019. At $87 this is a steal to the highest degree. This will be the first mainland Scotch I award the full 5 stars since I began writing full reviews and actually took the time to critically evaluate what's in the glass. This will be the new benchmark for quality and value. Absolute must buy. At this point, I'd say it's the only way to drink Glenlivet. Hopefully they bring back the age statement. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But with something this good, I'd prefer to remain optimistic that I will one day get to try it again in this very form. If you're lucky enough to see one of these in 2019, you know what to do. Cheers!