Westland Garryana 2018 Edition 3|1

American Single Malt

Westland // Washington, USA

1. jgerdes87

2. jonwilkinson7309

I rounded out my recent Chicago swing with a trip to Delilah's.  Delilah's is a classic dive bar in Lincoln Park that caters to all types - guys hunched over a beer at the bar, 20-somethings crowded around tables doing shots, and whiskey aficianados taking careful sips between consultations with the bartenders.  All with a soundtrack on late seventies post-punk in the background. The whiskeys, of which there are currently about 800, are Delilah's claim to fame, and includes quite a few rarities, barrel picks and bespoke editions.   The selection process was therefore challenging, but I chose to start with the Westland Garryana.  I had yet to see it in the wild, and jumped at the chance. I found primarily malt and grain on the nose.  The palate had the same, along with a sweet coffee note (distinctly coffee for me and not chocolate), and wood. There's also some spice that's a bit hard to place, along with some dryness, particularly on the finish.  I assume that the spice note and perhaps the dryness is from the Garry oak.  Maybe I'd feel differently if I was more acclimated to Garry oak, but I found it to be a bit sharp, although not harsh. Admittedly, I feel the same way about Mizunara oak. Overall, I liked the Garryana but did not love it.  It's smooth and the coffee note is different and very enjoyable.  On the other hand, it lacked a certain boldness, and I'm not sold on the Garryana wood.  There's some exciting stuff going on in the American single malt market, and in the end, I was hoping for a bit more.
    Delilah's
  3. Bourbon-T

4. awortham

5. srosin

6. Campos047

Really enjoyed the pour of this that I had the other night. More subtle peat than I was expecting (looking at your Ardbeg). A great example of single malts done in the US - keep hitting it out of the park Westland!
  7. aloux

8. Bourbonaut

can definitely taste the peated malt. sweet, complex, evolving, complex and exciting. worth the price to try it.
  9. TheCodeFiend