Catoctin Creek Rabble Rouser Rye Whiskey

Rye

Catoctin Creek // Virginia, USA

1. Swahili1

Taste- 2 oz Neat in Glen cairn, no water needed Appearance: Reddish to light amber, coat8ng with lush, slower running legs. Nose: Cherry, oak, buttered rye bread, and butterscotch. Thereis also some tremedously delicious milk chocolate. Hardly a bit of ethanol. Palate: Coating buttery mouthfeel. You are hit with chocolate some nice apple and cereal bar up front. Some spicier notes let you know this is a quality rye. There is some dill and a small bit of mint in the background with nice oak, barrel char, and cherry pie topped with butterscotch to greet you. Finish is like an old friend, warm and with open arms. The buttery note you road in on is the buttery note you ride out on. It is superb. Overall: First, I get almost none of the notes from the pro reviewer at all! Second, it is one of the best ryes I have had. I put it in the category of a 6 year WFE, Cornerstone Rye, Michter's 10 yr, or some of the Handy years. Reminds me alot of 2017 Handy as a matter of fact sans the earthiness. I had had the entry bottle- Roundstone Rye.....and hated it. It was thin, solvent like, and just NO. Took me a year to get the courage to try this at it's 99.00 price after Roundstone was so dissapointing. I had a friend whom I traded a bottle of Old Fitz for a Russell's 2002 who also happens to work at Catoctin Creek. The thing about whiskey folks is that we like to talk and share what we love and hate. In the process of our trade we did just that. He gently twisted my arm on this one and I am so glad he did!
  2. briantaylor42

Citrus and cocoa on the nose. Warm and spicy mouthfeel and lingering rich chocolate and spice on the finish. Worth every penny.
  3. no-sweets

Definitely that rye spice but it comes behind a lovely vanilla character. Dry woody finish. A little splurge but I’d buy another glass.
  4. F1Jared

5. F1Jared

6. roketsci84

Spicy goodness
  7. blitzkrieg068

8. Anm1984

9. Sean-Doyle

pepper, chocolate, spearmint, pretzle, solid burn, long finish...great sipper, little pricey but I'd buy it again.
  10. dutch00