Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. // Kentucky, USA

1. Chris-Ellis

A little and fluffy Barrel proof whisky. Not oily at all, very easy to drink, surprisingly so. The finish is long and enveloping. Sweet light nose.
  2. Dreaming-of-Islay

This E.H. Taylor expression -- Batch 7, from 2018 -- was my surprise favorite of a night where I also tried three Four Roses Private Selections, Kentucky Owl Bourbon (Batch 8), and 2018's George T. Stagg. I've had pours of earlier batches of this barrel-proof bourbon, and they never left a lasting impression on my mind. This newest release, dating from 2018, is astoundingly good and almost tastes like a sherry-finished whiskey. Raisin is readily detectable from the first sniff, along with dense blackberry preserve or compote. The fruit flavors on this one rival, or perhaps even exceed, the intensity of the Kentucky Owl. Despite being considerably younger than the Stagg, its palate had the strongest oak backbone and the most mouth-watering maple syrup note. It was incredibly viscous and full-bodied. The one slight flaw would be the overwhelming heat on the finish: turmeric, cinnamon, pie, and sweet tea giving just a glimmer of relief from that spice and alcoholic fire.
    12.0 USD per Pour
  3. wheres_the_fuckin_bourbon

4. dillmanag31

phenomenal! Carmel char goodness glad I got to have
  5. piechefguy

Definitely a bucket list whiskey. I was super excited to find this for what I'd consider a very reasonable price and boy did it deliver. I should point out I tried this after the WLW so it's possible my flavors were a little confused. Nose: Wood, lots of it, light vanilla, some alcohol burn. Not a lot going on in the nose and very simple unlike the complexity of the taste. Flavor: Toasted walnuts and pecans, some wood, vanilla, baking spices, light honey sweetness but not cloyingly sweet. A very unique flavor. Like nothing I've tasted before. Finish: Medium length, oak leading in to some rye spice, red hots, cinnamon, and waxy walnut or brazil nut. This was excellent! If only I could find a bottle for a reasonable price. I recently saw one for $300 but...really???
    25.0 USD per Pour
  6. DCLawyer

Bottle pour neat at Partisan DC. Decent price of $14 for a high-end DC spot. Spicy oak, caramel, and vanilla on the nose. Taste has more heat and more spice, some complex grains playing around. Very long finish, tons of character here. I really enjoy this. 7/3/19
  7. JohnCBaker1987

So. Good.
    Bozeman
  8. BillSlone07

9. Jcdwing

Excellent taste at global in Paducah
  10. msullivan63