Haig Gold Label

Blended

Haig // Scotland

1. The_Rev

I'm a history nerd (even majored in it - my specialities are 19th and early 20th century US, Latin America, and colonial and postcolonial Africa), so the opportunity to taste a piece of history like the 1940 Haig King George V is right up my alley. The whiskey is, fortunately, quite enjoyable beyond its historical appeal. The nose is sweet and malty, honeyed cereal and fruit with a nice whiff of smoke kicking about. The palate lines up with the nose; sweet, a little fruity, and just enough smoke to remind you that this is scotch. It's hard not to enjoy on its own merits, but given its age, this becomes a special dram indeed - thanks to @PBMichiganWolverine for sharing!
  2. greg78

3. localshot

4. Scott_E

Note: This is a review for 1940 Haig Gold Label Late George V What a treat! A chance to sample a scotch that is circa World War II. Only in a group of whisky enthusiasts could this be possible. Nose is candy sweet consisting of butterscotch, candycorn, vanilla and honey. There’s are floral and fruity notes in the sweetness. Heather, apples and raisins. Malt and milk chocolate (Whoppers) and cereal grains eventually become detectable when time is granted. It’s a lightweight, enjoyable nose. First draw is slightly peppery and sweet. As the palate gets acclimated, the whisky is notably sweet. The body is thin and lightweight. Butterscotch, vanilla, honey. The sweetness is pleasant but short giving way to a white pepper and fresh ginger spicy zing the is delivered to the finish. A short finish which is slightly oaky dry with a some charcoal with a touch of vanilla and honey sweetness. I wasn’t sure what to expect. That is were scotch palates different 60+ years ago?. It’s like a chance to jump back into time. What was the style of a whisky two generations ago as it compare today. From my perspective, it easy, sweet, inoffensive and made to enjoy without the distractions of sophistication; a social sipper. (You can transport yourself picturing Churchill or King George VI himself sipping on this during wartime). Thank you @PBMichiganWolverine for this rare treat and a glimpse of a whisky world long ago. [87/100][Tasted: 4/21/18]
  5. kijis

6. John-Kousanakis

7. Telex

Disclaimer: This review is specifically for the Haig Gold Label, Late George V, which was bottled in 1940. Wow Pranay, this was a nice find indeed. I'll be honest, when I heard the aftermath of the present Haig marketing onslaught, and how the present product was lackluster, I thought to myself "oooh, this 1940 might not as good as I am thinking it will be". Well, it is awesome that I was incorrect. Goes to show, never think that all bottles from one distilleries are going to have a great, or a bad offering, especially if time has gone by as it has here. Wow, great vanilla wafers, dark nuts, and a hint of smoke. Is that sulfur in there? I like it! To me, this is like a "light" Jedi version of the Bowmore 15 Darkest. The Obi-Won to Darth Vader... Anyway, enough tangents. Even though the finish was short to medium, there is some gooey goodness of caramelized syrup with cherries. This goes to show, never judge a book by its cover. 4.0 This one is such a classic that the song for this dram has to be "Symphony #9" by Beethoven.
  8. LeeEvolved

I was able to sample a bit of this thanks to my friend Pranay as an extra to our Scottish distillery trading group. It's a bottle from the 1940 King George V series. It's a blend and comes in at the standard 40% ABV. It's a beautiful copper color and smells overly sweet just by giving it a gentle swirl. The nose smells heavily of candied corn and raspberries. It's almost all sweetness, all of the oak notes have mysteriously vanished. There's a faint musty smell that permeates through the sweet notes. It isn't off-putting, just a little funky and weird. I get an immediate burst of perfume, heavy vanilla and corn on the tongue. It leads to a higher burning sensation than I expected from a blended whisky, especially one of this age. It's a clear indication that blending skills have come a long way since the WWII era, lol. The finish is pretty short and oily. The thicker mouthfeel is warm, it just doesn't really stick around. It's a solid experience considered just how old it is. It seems to have held up rather well. I know I'd never be able to have another whisky this old on my own. Thanks again to Pranay for the chance to try something of this vintage. 3.75 stars. Cheers, my friends.
  9. Generously_Paul

I got a sample of this 1940's era blended scotch as a bonus sample from the SDT group. Very excited to try something from so long ago. The bottle actually used the old imperial proofing system. 70 degrees proof, which translates to 40% ABV. No idea if colorant is added or if it's chill filtered (did they do that back then?). It is a deep amber color that really looks natural. The nose is a bit of an oddity. Very different from today's style, but that's not to say that it's bad. Rich, dark, roasted notes. Burnt caramel and roasted Brazil nuts. Vanilla and creme brûlée, coffee and a little wood smoke. Dark sherry and dates. There is a little tar/rubber/creosote smell that is nice but very muted. Caramel apples and a bit of sulfur, but it's actually a pleasant sulfur. Slight oak and a little citrus towards the end of the dram. The palate is rich and echoes the nose. Dark caramel, creme brûlée, vanilla and dark sherry. There is something peaty that resembles the feeling of a Laphroaig or maybe a Bowmore. Not what I was expecting but I like it. Some molasses rounds it out. Light to medium bodied, watery but smooth mouthfeel. Sadly the finish is short. Mostly sherry with some peat smoke. This blend is so different from what is out there today. It's hard to compare it to anything I've had before. I like it, that much I know. If this is a typical example of what was coming out of Scotland 3 generations ago, then it was a good time to be alive...except for WWII. A well put together blend, I'd love to know what's in it. I saw on The Whisky Exchange that these bottles go for upwards of £400 (which I believe is around $475), and while I wouldn't pay that much I would still love to get my hands on more. I considered scoring it at 3.75, but the cool factor bumped it up to 4. Thanks for the sample Pranay. Cheers
  10. ( NOTE: my review is specifically for the Haig Gold Label Late George V, which was bottled in 1940. ) , After 10 days of vacation in Oregon and having nothing but Willamette valley Pinot Noirs, I was looking forward to coming back to whisky. I finally opened this up tonight: a bottle gifted to me ( or rather left behind unknowingly) by my in-laws---a Haig blended malt from 1940. My father in law was a big fan of this back in the 50s when he was at Cambridge. Not sure the age or even which region. It's interesting to try something this old, gives an indication of what folks liked back then ( and now I clearly understand why the Brora, Rosebank, and Karuizawa never had a chance---they were too ahead of their time.) This was quite popular then...and showcases a taste profile from 80 years ago. This needs to sit out in the glass a while. It's been stagnant way too long. It needs a bit of oxidation to open up. Nose is faint, like varnish almost. Taste: a bit too sweet for my preferences, like candy corn dipped in corn syrup. Coffee. Blanched almonds--some off putting notes like it's been stale just way too long. No finish. Definately not my style---but I'm really grateful for trying something this old, and this rare---I don't think the George V version is available anymore. For at least decades. I don't feel it's fair to give something like this any stars, but to simply enjoy a piece of history (and appreciate the times we currently live in as well ). I could've kept it as a collector item...but what the heck---we live only once.