J.P. Wiser's Rye

Canadian

J.P. Wiser's // Canada

1. LeeEvolved

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...so I guess I'm stuck inside with a few 50ml samples to try. First up: Canadian blend J.P. Wiser's Rye. It's your standard 80 proof and looks really clean in the Glencairn. I'm not sure what a full bottle costs, but I doubt it's really expensive. The nose consists of everything you expect from a blended, rye whiskey: oak, peppers and a hint of vanilla. No surprises here, except maybe that they are all a bit muted. On the tongue it's quite enjoyable, especially for a rye (not my favorite style of whiskey by a long shot). There's lots of vanilla and oak present, while the pepper and cinnamon notes take a back seat. The finish is quick and to the point. Smooth and creamy with no kick. Very seldom do I find myself enjoying rye (or Canadian) whiskies. It seems like I always end up recommending them as mixers and that's about it. This one actually stands up on its own when neat and I can really appreciate that. This might be my favorite Canadian whiskey to date. Cheers.
  2. pcrady

3. Kara-Kile

4. TheSamDavies

Simple, lean, and refreshing. I wouldn't buy another bottle but I'd certainly order it off a bar menu.
  5. Matt-Creamer

6. John0

7. Shanpaine

1.0
  8. pbisanti

9. Badastronaut13

10. bryan-p

First Rye. Actually drank it all and forgot to rate it. I wouldn't turn it away but it is not going to be my first choice after having tasted a few others.