Journeyman Distillery Corsets, Whips & Whiskey

1. JohnH1962

2. 3skimo

3. Jaser13

4. RVM

Hmmm. Mixed feelings. Flavour? Big love. Big success. Caramel. Toffee. Vanilla. Spice. Bread. Pepper. Wood. A gorgeous ensemble of distinct yet integrated tastes. Powerful. Intense. The bad. That alcohol. Wow. On the nose, the first reaction was of cleared sinuses. Then in the mouth, the burn numbed my taste buds and left a raw, stripped feeling at the back of my throat. Yet the flavours still rolled around my mouth. And this was with water. I'm afraid 58.5 is beyond my tolerance. I would love to retain what I enjoyed at a lower abv but as it is, I won't be buying a full bottle however I am glad to have sampled this. Approach with caution!
  5. BRice

6. jeli2657

Nose is prune and alcohol. Taste is alcohol, cereal grain, and not much else. Overwhelming alcohol burn. Needs water. Diluted: nose is prune and honey. Complex sweet aroma. Taste is sweet, raisiny, and hints of clove or bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is good. Finish is still a little harsh.
  7. Spencer-Baird

Flowery nose, toffee, spicy finish
  8. BillyT

119.6 proof. The first pour I had after yesterday’s purchase reminded me of Stagg Junior batch 10 (127 proof), especially the cherry note, so tonight I decided to do a taste of each side-by-side. The Journeyman is noticeably darker in the glass despite being about 8 proof points less than the Stagg jr., and likely a few years younger. Both exhibit a pronounced cherry note, but the Stagg cherry note is a bit brighter, while the Journeyman is more on the dark or rustic side. The Stagg shows a greater level of refinement as one might expect from this highly sought after Bourbon from the country’s premier distillery, and the oak and heat are very nicely integrated. The Journeyman is generally a bit more brash and youthful, but damn if it isn’t amazingly similar across the palate, and so tasty for a 100% Michigan wheat whiskey. Overall, I have to say that I’m very impressed with this whiskey, not to mention that it is easily found in liquor stores here in southwest Michigan, whereas Stagg jr. is a dreamy unicorn in these parts (got mine in a trade). I look forward to visiting the distillery being that it’s only about an hour and a half away. Most definitely the best non-Kentucky whiskey I’ve had, and will most likely make this part of my regular rotation.
  9. scmcbee

10. townseta

Good heat, caramel, cherries. Smooth finish.