Kavalan Solist Ex-Bourbon Single Cask Strength

Kavalan // Taiwan

1. BCC

Wonderful. Some one gave me the Solist Olorosso Sherry Cask and I just fell in love with it. So went out and bought the Vinho Barrique and also the Ex-Bourbon casks. They are all great. The best way to drink these almost 60% ABV solist casks is to have them neat. Let them slowly explode and dilute in your mouth. Chew on it and experience their superb richness and tastiness. Of the 3, my favourite is Vinho Barrique. However, all 3 are excellent. Ex-Bourbon is the sweetest with nice Vanilla. Sherry is most oaky and a sherry bomb. Vinho Barrique is a happy marriage of both. Be warned... after trying these, all other whisky taste too bland.
  2. Alptekin-Temizel

3. Simon-Pak

Cask no.: B141217091A Aroma: Nutty, vanilla and a bit smoky Palate: Charred wood, tea but surprising with some tropical fruit like pineapple notes. Quite a strong burn Finish: Sweet honey and fruit, long and pleasant
  4. piechefguy

I'm a fan of Kavalan. That said there was some confusion. We went to Whiskyfest and asked the ladies at the Kavalan booth to pour us the Vinho Barrique and Sherry and loved what they poured Admittedly there was some language barrier. After some samples and confusion I am 99% sure they actually poured us the Sherry and Ex Bourbon. The Ex Bourbon was the one that kind of blew my mind that night. This is a roughly 5 year old pick from Total Wine. It's been said that a year in Taiwan is equivalent to 5 in Scotland and I'm in agreement to be sure. Nose: Vanilla buttercream frosting, mango, papaya, and oak with a malty dusty background note that I tend to associate more with corn whiskey. Flavor: Sweet but not cloyingly so. More of a honey sweetness. More tropical fruit especially mango with some heat from the proof but no ethanol note with some spice as well. Finish: Long finish with some clove and cardamom from the barrel and quite a bit of toasted coconut as well. Lingers for a long time and dries out a little with the tropical honey and barrel char staying with you a long time. Wow this is a superb whisky. I've now tried the sherry, two picks of the ex bourbon, vinho barrique, and port and can say this slightly younger pick from Total Wine is my favorite. The older pick was nice but the wood was too forward and masked the fruit notes. Pricey but definitely worth the cost.
  5. tim3190

Wow. Glad I brought a bottle back to the States.
    Kavalan Whiskey Distillery
  6. Fernando-Carrapichano

Heavy sherry nose. Reet Tangy. Blackcurrant, satsuma vibe, mega toffee, cheeky Pineapple. 7.7
  7. JasonH

8. Euncheol

1L
  9. Hicksy

Aggressive nose (cask strength). Strong vanilla, cinnamon. Tasting is tropical, rich toffee and almost fruity.
  10. Joonyong-Yang