Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2019 Release)

Kilchoman // Islay, Scotland

1. pyro_nooga

When I poured my first dram of the Loch Gorm, there was an unfortunate dribble which I collected on my hands and rubbed them together before taking a deep sniff. Now I was excited. Heavy campfire smoke with BBQ grill the morning after putting a good crust on a pork roast was dominating. It was time to get my nose in the glass after contemplating the smell of the oils on my hands a few minutes. Surprise! The smoke and peat were there on the nose, but subdued and layered with dark fruit, sultanas, oak, pepper, some earthiness. The sherry cask influence is beautiful, fruity, and giving this peated scotch unexpected depth. I’ve read that this years release contains barrels from 2006 - 2011. The 13 and 12 year-old barrels are adding some depth and dark fruit that can only come with age, while I’m getting some of the sharper, younger smoke and peat as well. This is well integrated and to my taste. The palette does not disappoint. Rich, oily mouthfeel confirms that this is not chill-filtered. Dark fruit, earthy peat, smoked meat, ash, brandied sultanas, brine, oak spice. The finish is oak and some astringent quality. I put off buying this because, despite liking the Sauternes Finish release from 2018, I’d read some fairly negative reviews (and some good ones) of the 2019 Loch Gorm. Whiskey is a subjective thing. I spoke to a coworker today who loves Dewars. Seriously? So I decided to give the family distillery the benefit of the doubt and picked up a bottle. I’m glad I did. I’ll savor these drams.
  2. han_drinks_solo

Meaty, peaty, gamey smoke, maple syrup, oaky vanilla. Full oily mouthfeel. Butter toffee and spice on the tail.
  3. aberjack

Smoky, vanilla, marzipan nose. Soft, woody, dark fruit, smoky on the palate. Dulled but in a fantastic, smooth and refined way. Soft finish.
  4. anjens

Had a Nikka Single Barrel before. Didn’t let it breathe properly. Nice smoky nose Smoke in the background. Spicy/sour and otherwise rather flat Finish alcohol and shoe polish?! The smoke will linger a while :) Not gonna buy a bottle.
    8.0 EUR per Shot
    Café ZILT
  5. Guillaume-Croussette

Nez fumée. Bouche tourbée assez courte
  6. Gr33k

7. Surfbum

Moderate smoke and iodine on the nose. Smoke, sweet, fruit, and bandaid on the palate.
  8. Glencairn