Requested By dubz480

Rye

Tennessee, USA

Requested By dubz480
  1. gkimstl

Overall a very good Rye that is well balanced and smooth.
  2. Daniel-Bacic

Haywire
  3. pigskin7380

4. AHB1007

Cloves. Berries. Strong. Very good young whiskey that to me doesn't necessarily taste young.
  5. Topshelf

9.0 USD per Pour
    Iozzo's Garden of Italy
  6. thebobby1930

This is very obviously sourced Dickel rye. Vanilla, oak, red fruit and berries, rye spice. Wine notes on the finish. Somewhat astringent. Nicely balanced. Interesting young rye at a great price point.
  7. whiskey_whisky_

Interesting. Sweet, not too many young notes, the musty wine barrel notes are there. Not too floral. Surprisingly balanced. Again, interesting. 11/22/19
  8. Ttocsffej

I have to say that I’ve wanted to try this for months but the packaging is a turn off to me so I resisted it. I think Dave Finney (of Orin Swift Winery fame) would do well to put this pretty copper colored Rye in a slightly more conventional clear bottle with a less provocative label. What’s inside is pretty amazing for less than $30, though. Others have suggested that it’s Dickel sourced, which is likely although I think the actual juice originated at MGP in Indiana. They offer the same mashbill as used in Redemption Rye. Whatever the machinations, the finishing in French Syrah barrels does add a slightly fruity complexity to the mid-palette and finish, with a “high corn rye mash” that spilts the difference between Rye and Bourbon in sweetness. On second thought, it seems to be sitting on the shelves at my local Total Wine so now that I’ve discovered it—perhaps they should leave the stylized but homely packaging alone so I can buy all they have.
  9. BDanner

Lip Service Rye Nose: The first time you pop the glass cork you are met with the strong smell of fermented grapes. Pours into the Glencairn the color of a new penny. "Dry" applies to most of the nosing notes. You get the Red Wine and Dried Fruit, Leather, Citrus, and Black Pepper. Some Dried Corn? A hint of Dill? Dry Spices and hints of Dry Wood. Think an old weathered untreated plank of Barn Wood. The nose is very promising. Neat: A general overall Sweetness, but also Peppery and Tingly. Again, a general "Dryness". There is so much going on that it is hard to pin down. Red Wine from the secondary barreling is prominent. Toasted Marshmallow, Dark Berries, Drying Oak, all precede a smooth tingling finish that leaves a coating of Drying Oak and a sweetness reminiscent of Honey & Beeswax. Splash: A little water really accentuates the "wine-y" character of the nose. The overall character becomes Less Dry. The fruit notes transition from dried to fresh. It picks up a gingerbread note on nose and palate. Very Unique. I could nose this one all day. On the finish, the coating starts to remind me of the hard pink Bubblegum that was always stuck in your pack of Topps Baseball Cards. Verdict: I went in knowing it was gimmicky, but still expected to like it. I was wrong...I LOVED it! This may be the best example of barrel finishing an American Whisky that I've had...And at a great price of $32.