Octomore Ten Years Dialogos

Octomore // Islay, Scotland

1. Jan-Case

Tasted July 13, 2020
      Tasting the Octomore 10 years - The Outlier 09.4/167 ppm/56,8%. Nose: really not as peaty as I was expecting “the highest ppm whisky” to be. Actually really pleasant and smooth. The peat also isn’t chemical or plastic-like. It is more thick and sweet. But it has a cold and wet earthyness to it. I like it. There also is a lingering fruitiness as well, with sour apples plus some fresh cucumber and bitter walnuts. Interesting is a wet fermented straw smell. Palate: also not as peaty as I was anticipating. It is really hot and keeps on maintaining a hot chili burn into the quiet long finish. The taste itself is good though. Very creamy sweet like hard milk caramel sweets. But now - yeah - the peat is definitely something. But it can be handled very easily and gives you enough room to “see” the actual whisky-flavors behind. After adding water it becomes a lot more drinkable and even more enjoyable. In fact dangerously drinkable and delicious. Watering it down really keeps the hot burn in check and releases even more sweetness. That was unexpected. I like it. Did I mention it is really sweet. My goodness - I didn’t know whisky can be this sweet. I actually would rate it higher if it would be less sweet. But this level of sugary sweetness after adding water is insane.
    2. Magnus-Johansson

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
      Distiller Pro

6. adimassimo

Tasted February 7, 2020
      Nose: Campfire smoke immediately comes out with hints of butter and oil. Thre cognac brings about pineapple and plantain mix with black tea leaves and dark red apples. An industrial scent, similar to the smell of a permanent marker lingers. Palate: Peat goes without saying, but with an ashy complement. Cola syrup follows through with bitter dark chocolates and tobacco leaves. Much less oily than the nose let's on with leathery notes and the the typical bruicchladich blue cheese. Chili flakes and cinnamon become apparent. The fruits are admittedly more difficult to pick out, but sultanas and apricots linger slightly. Finish: Very long-lasting with the dark chocolate notes lasting along with cigar and smoke.
    7. Kevin-Colantonio

Tasted February 7, 2020
      This bottle was opened as part of our 10th event anniversary of our scotch club @AOrlando @adesor @Grex89 @adimassimo. This bottle was relabelled as 57.6% when purchased at the SAQ (Quebec). Nose: Light campfire smoke Oily Buttery Pineapple Ardbeg Mint Herbs Blue cheese Palate: Tobacco Campfire smoke Leather Vanilla syrup Concentrated peat (...after a couple of drops) Chocolate Liquorice Finish: Long Liquorice Cognac Vanilla
    8. adesor

Tasted February 7, 2020
      Nose - medicinal - oily - light campfire smoke - rosemary - caramel - sweet wine - maple syrup - vanilla bean - cigar tobacco - custard pastry - buttery - sherry - blueberry - dried raisin - cognac - blue cheese - apricot - sauternes cask - light lime Palate - cognac - spicy - wine cask - medicinal peat - processed syrup - raisin - brown sugar - dry - chilli flake - apricot
    9. decocar1

Tasted January 25, 2020
    10. jonwilkinson7309

Tasted January 1, 2020
      2019 was a banner whiskey year for me.  I tried lots of great whiskeys, bought many fantastic bottles, and had great experiences at a variety of bars and stores.  Most importantly, I spent numerous hours of quality time sharing with and learning from so many great people here at Distiller! To start 2020 off right, I needed a strong opening act.  I've been holding a sample of the Ten Year Dialogos I received from @pbmichiganwolverine for the right occasion.  What better way to ring in the New Year? I thoroughly agree with the enthusiastic comments that proceed my review - this is a wonderfully balanced, boldly peated, and complex yet instantly enjoyable whisky. But a few personal reactions - This is my first Octomore.  Although I love peated whiskeys, the idea of a dram with approximately three times the peat PPM of Ardbeg seemed...unnecessary.  I love peat blended with other contrasting flavors, and 167 PPM sounded like pulling heaps of cold ash out of the fireplace and adding it to my morning smoothie.  But I could not have been more wrong. While it's heavily peated (from about five feet away, my wife immediately exclaimed, "peated whisky!"), it doesn't come across as more peated than the typical Ardbeg, which leaves plenty of room for the wealth of other flavors this whiskey has to offer.   To my palate, there's a real difference between the peat flavors of different whiskies.  For example, I find Laphroaig to be ashy in nature, Ardbeg to be barbeque, and Ballechin to be a thick cloud of billowing blackness.  The Ten Year Diagalos peat is a bit fiery, with a quality that is almost a bit spicy.   It's lovely.   So thank you @pbmichiganwolverine!  If the rest of 2020 is half this good, it will be an epic year!
    11. phaseid