Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2011

Port Charlotte // Islay, Scotland

1. Bergkampgunner

Short legs show it’s youth. Little drips sit in the glass as you swirl it. I have missed Islay malts while on a mountain getaway with a bunch of bourbon lovers. The nose is wonderful and perfect. It’s campfire, salt and sea just as you’d expected from the PC line at Bruichladdich. I know that all the barley is Islay and I think that’s awesome. I’m not smart or well traveled enough to be able to taste it but it’s a wonderful thing to note about the “Terroir Matters” people over there. It gives a handmade microbrew feel to them. The taste is classic. Again, I don’t know how to say it better than sea and salt. I haven’t been to Scotland but it makes me think of the North Atlantic. Kinda smells and tastes like the Maine coast (plus peat). I should try this with lobster or is that too much Maine? Regardless, there is no burn in this (full disclosure I’ve been drinking a lot of cask strength lately so my tastebuds could be dulled 🤷‍♂️). This is long and smooth on the back end. I still feel the salty sweetness behind my molars minutes later. This is wonderful.
  2. wms

3. ChicagoScotch

4. recycling

5. stephanereveille

6. dfink114

7. carpejugulum

8. Miles-Johnson

PC Heavy Peated The nose reminds me upland stream smell or clear water pond and a campfire put out with a bucket of water. Ash and steam. A hint of fish in hand - catch and release smell. On the tongue the mouthfeel is worth the price of admission. The opening act is lively with salt and dry smoke - a dash of butter - a tinge of vinegar or tart ginger. The backend is wide open and empty with some smoke muted green grass. Simple and good and lively. In one word - estuarine.
  9. SandyAndy