Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2011

1. webbyiu

2. Melissssssa

Smooth, leather, tasty. Awesome
  3. worldwhiskies95

A delicious dram with notes of smoke, peat, creamy vanilla, floral, pepper, caramel, citrus, and chocolate. Not as good as the 10 and wish it was a bit thicker on the palette but delicious nonetheless.
    Beauty & Essex
  4. wms

5. sabadir

The Whisky Exchange
  6. Bergkampgunner

Opened this bottle a few days ago and went back to it today with a friend. Maybe it’s the company but it’s even better today. In addition to my previous review I’m getting a ton of SWEETNESS on the palate. Probably the honey note but I’m getting a bit of something citrusy too. Just a little and I didn’t get it at all on first opening. I will re-note...the amount of burn on this is amazingly slight for a young whiskey at this ABV. I’ve had many a bottle in bond bourbons that have way more bite than this. The 8 year Lagavulin has a lower alcohol content, stayed in the barrel longer, and was much harsher. This is smooth and sweet (apparently) while being a peat bomb. I finished the glass and a half hour later my fiancé walked by the empty glass and did a slight recoil. I asked her what was up and she just said “smoky!” Couldn’t have said it better myself!!
  7. finogrigio

Caledonia Bar
  8. Bergkampgunner

Short legs show it’s youth. Little drips sit in the glass as you swirl it. I have missed Islay malts while on a mountain getaway with a bunch of bourbon lovers. The nose is wonderful and perfect. It’s campfire, salt and sea just as you’d expected from the PC line at Bruichladdich. I know that all the barley is Islay and I think that’s awesome. I’m not smart or well traveled enough to be able to taste it but it’s a wonderful thing to note about the “Terroir Matters” people over there. It gives a handmade microbrew feel to them. The taste is classic. Again, I don’t know how to say it better than sea and salt. I haven’t been to Scotland but it makes me think of the North Atlantic. Kinda smells and tastes like the Maine coast (plus peat). I should try this with lobster or is that too much Maine? Regardless, there is no burn in this (full disclosure I’ve been drinking a lot of cask strength lately so my tastebuds could be dulled 🤷‍♂️). This is long and smooth on the back end. I still feel the salty sweetness behind my molars minutes later. This is wonderful.
  9. wms