Requested By mbrady503

Wanderback // Washington (aged in Oregon), USA

Requested By mbrady503
  1. Deepak-Saxena

2. PBMichiganWolverine

Taking someone else’s distilled product and slapping a label is freakin’ easy. In fact, I can do it, and come up with some snappy marketing slogan and label. But, taking someone else’s distilled product and doing something to that is a another game altogether ( Barrell, the new darling blenders come to mind, as does the previous darlings High West). BUT...working with a distiller to come up with your own mashbill, and aging it yourself is a whole new game! These guys at Wanderback work with different distillers, using their own mash bill, and age it in Oregon. If anyone’s been to Oregon, it’s crazy beautiful weather. You get sunny balmy climate, cold as hell winter climate, sandy dunes dry weather, and ‘Islay style cold ocean water smashing against rocks ‘ climate as well. So, that variation has to be a factor here. This was made using a custom mashbill with Westland, out of Seattle. I’ve had many Westland products before, having visited their distillery while on a business trip to Seattle. If tastes blind, I’d not guess this was Westland. But then again, what I remember most out of their tasting was the Garryana and Peat Week offering, so I’m sure my not guessing this was Westland more so was just me and not indicative of the product . Taste sweet...but not overly. Fruity a bit, not citrus-y like what you get from Caol Ila, but almost like plum or other stone fruit. Mixed with a hefty dose of cocoa. Thanks @jonwilkinson7309 for the pour! I’m glad I got batch 3...if batch 3 is better than this, and I really liked this one, then in retrospect, I think I made a good choice.
  3. sarwilky

Not harsh, coffee and toffee and earth.
  4. jonwilkinson7309

How I love the whiskey rabbit hole!  Recently, @dubz480 recommended Rua American Single Malt, and never one to ignore his rock solid endorsements (I have a growing collection of Barrell to show for it, along with Del Bac and a few other gem), I immediately commenced with research.   Great Wagon Road Distillery's web site (the makers of Rua) has a "Buy Online" link that routes to seelbachs.com.  New to me, Seelbach's is dedicated to offering spirits (mostly whiskey) from craft distillers from across the US.   Awesome. I looked through all of Seelbach's listing and researched every one I was unfamiliar with, one of which was Wanderback.  Seelbachs had three Wanderback batches for sale.   Wanderback is not a distillery.  The founder, Phil Downer, developed his own mashbill, sourced the grains from local farmers, and partnered with established distilleries to produce the whiskey.  Westland apparently distilled Batch 1.  The whiskey is then aged at Wanderback's warehouse (a converted barn) in Hood River, OR.  Each release is a limited run of 2000-2500 bottles.  The scant few Wanderbach reviews I found were glowing, and I was intrigued.  Plus, Seelbach's has a discount for purchasing all three batches together.  Sold!   First up, Batch 1.  It's 90 proof, 88% pale malt, 8% crystal malt, 2% chocolate malt, and 2% Munich malt, and aged for a minimum of 3 years. 2200 bottles were released. The nose has some smoke, malt, and lots of toffee.  The palate is toffee that transitions to mild dark chocolate, some anise and spice, and a sweet fruity note that's not citrus, berry or dark fruits.  The tasting notes on the bottle list star fruit, which seems about right.  The finish is long, with the dark chocolate taking center stage. According to Wanderback, the Hood River experiences significant temperature swings.  While there's some youthfulness present, it's well moderated.  The nose is very pleasant, and the flavors on the palate are strong and bold.  Overall, an excellent American single malt.   Batch 2 uses the same mashbill, is aged four years, and is finished in ex-rum and ex-bourbon casks.  Batch 3 is aged five years and finished in ex-port casks.  I can't wait to try both.  And of course, I ordered the Rua as well.  I've been disciplined recently with my bottle  openings, but I'm about to be put to the test...
  5. jabdog

I really enjoyed this batch. Very complex and full bodied American whiskey.