Benromach Sassicaia Wood Finish 2007

3. markrobbo78

4. Kestas-Sliuzas

5. fullnelsondrinking

6. DavidCeulemans

When we stay in Italy we often visit Bolgheri, and old medieval town in Tuscany. It’s mainly known for its 5 kilometres long driveway with cypresses and the numerous wineries surrounding the town. When I learned this Benromach had been finished in Bolgherian Sassicaia wine barrels, I got very curious. We have driven by the Sassicaia grapevines many times, and the Sassicaia wine comes highly recommended, so how would a Sassicia-wood finished whisky taste like? Funnily enough, I couldn’t find it in the local wineries and shops in Bolgheri last year. To my surprise, earlier this week I finally spotted a bottle in the shop window of a wine shop when visiting San Gimignano - totally by accident, as I wasn’t actually looking for it. On the shelf inside the shop there was a 2009 bottling available, but upon request the shop owner offered me to sell the 2007 bottling from the shopwindow instead (limited edition - 3500 bottles) for the same price. The shop owner also commended me for my choice, as he found it to be a real good whisky. Initially I also wanted to buy a bottle of the actual Sassicaia wine too, just for the sake of it, but not being an avid wine drinker, I found it a bit to expensive for that. The very same evening, I couldn’t control myself any longer, so I cracked the bottle, poured a dram and took some time to savour it near the fireplace. Time well spend, as it turned out: On the nose, this Benromach is a typical Speyside dram - sweet, with touches of honey, cinnamon and apple. On the palate, similar notes appear, while accompanied with a whiff of smoke, and a just a fruity hint of the Sassicaia wine-barrels. The aftertaste is sweet, a tad fruity, and lingers just about the right time. Great dram! Bottom line: I usually prefer heavily peated whiskies over non peated ones anytime, but this this Benromach Saccicaia Wood Finish has become my instant favourite non-peaty dram overnight. I’m really going to enjoy this one whenever we’re in Tuscany.
    97.0 EUR per Bottle
    San Gimignano
  7. Ankhazam

8. Toby-Meatyard

9. Rosencrantz

This whisky does not have the usual added coloring with caramel (which, incidentally, is used to give that air of "seasoned", and therefore of prestige, which naturally is associated with dark shades), but the refinement in Sassicaia Wine gives it however, a nice shade of intense dark gold, really inviting, which combined with the label (different and more elegant than other Benromach expressions) already predisposes to drinking. No chill-filtering, therefore a certain opacity in the liquid can be detected if drunk at colder temperatures. Poured into the glass, the red wine becomes immediately present on the nose (and it would be difficult otherwise, given the importance of the Bolgheri product), fruity notes are perceived (black grapes, of course, but also berries) and a light smoke that acts as a glue between the various aromas. Non-invasive alcohol. In the mouth the wine is felt more massively, with an accompaniment of fruity sweetness, herbaceous notes and always a pleasant substrate of smoke. Sassicaia is always there and it would like to eat everything out, but the Benromach keeps beating and keeps the harmonic structure, truly a sight. After the glass (with the usual calm, and always alternating nose and palate to fully appreciate all its nuances), the vinous and fruity flavors remain, with a hint of dryness probably due to the tannins. Remarkable.
  10. spawnkam