Del Maguey Arroqueño Mezcal

2. GHO

Tasted June 4, 2021
    3. ContemplativeFox

Tasted May 13, 2021
      Rating: 20/23 N: Fresh cherry mixed with vinegary mustard, some dry but fresh wood, and dry smoke. It's an interesting nose with an interesting balance going on. Somehow, it works out. The complexity isn't great here, but I'm intrigued. P: Tart dried cherry (which is also fairly sweet and has some decent depth) starts it out, leading into some mustard with a bit of vinegar to it. Then, the earthiness builds out of the mustard seed, providing a full but kind of dusty, musty backing. There's some really interesting swirling but faint herbal and vegetal components here. I'm having trouble placing them. Some spiciness comes out and there's a faint sweetness to it, suggesting cinnamon. I'm really enjoying this palate. The complexity is really there. Sure, it's a little off-kilter, but the balance still works out. F: Some dry tartness with a bit of a woody character comes out while some smoke remains. I get some faint vegetal cherry with some of that sweet river water. There's maybe some herbal flavor in here and it's still a solid finish, but the substantial reduction in complexity from the palate is a bit of let down. - Continued - This is tremendously complex and interesting with some really well executed flavors, yet it's never harsh or out of balance (despite its odd flavor profile). There's no off notes either. I would put this above the Chichicapa because of its better complexity. There's also a sense of refinement in the execution of this flavor that the Chicapa doesn't have. I'd also put it above Mezcalero #21. This is probably my new favorite mezcal. There's a lot happening here and there's a lot of subtlety, but it sure comes together nicely. This is interesting to contemplate and I'd be delighted to have a bottle. I can't see this being below an 18 and less than a 19 seems pretty unlikely too. A 21 seems likely as high as it could go though. I can vaguely imagine a 22, but not really. I expect to land on a 19 or 20. Upon further contemplation, I'm leaning toward a 20.
    4. MattDeleon

Tasted March 21, 2021
    5. Scott_E

Tasted August 15, 2020
      This Friday night pours me a tequila courtesy of my Mexican supplier @PBMichiganWolverine Never having a Mezcal previously, I am not sure what to expect. But, hey, it’s a Friday night. Color is water like clear and clean. An herbal and earthy base nose with a delicate sweetness. Cedar, cantaloupe, cocoa powder with a maltiness of ovaltine. A smokiness that is Islay-like with grass and herbal flavors and green vegetables. Melon rinds, lime zest, oranges, mangoes, Granny Smith apples, raw broccoli and bitter dark chocolate. All these flavors are bold, strong and in you face (and palate). Finish is black pepper with caramel,melon with a medium ride out of barrel char. This is a tequila that is unlike any I have had previously. Not being experienced is tequilas, though my exposure has been broader, I found this to be unique and vibrant. Light and smokey with a bitter edge and complexity. A good sipping tequila. However, it wasn’t the over the top tequila that I expected. Maybe it my first Mezcal and inexperience. Maybe my palate is less tequila refined. All-in-all, a fine sipping tequila. Thanks Pranay for a rare treat. [88/100][Tasted: 8/14/20]
    6. ContemplativeFox

Tasted June 11, 2020
      1.5
      More dry than the Del Maguey especial and del maguey Tobala. As a result, it tastes less like cough drops despite still having the citrus and menthol flavors. It has depth and is pretty interesting, though I don't love it either. The decrease in smoke is a bit disappointing, but the diminished brine is a relief.
    7. potoooooooo

Tasted March 1, 2020
      Añejo
    10. worldwhiskies95

Tasted January 25, 2020
      Possibly the best mezcal I’ve ever tried, and this is coming from someone who prefers tequilas and aged ones at that. Full of flavors papaya, pineapple, melon, mango, loads of citrus on the palate, a little smoke, a little dark chocolate, green apples, and most importantly, tastes like actual and explosive cooked and caramelized agave.
      Existing Conditions