Requested By 1901

1. sorsmo

Tasted June 5, 2021
    2. skillerified

Tasted June 1, 2021
      N: Mineral water, coconut water, passion fruit, shredded coconut, green apple, cinnamon. Ethanol numbs you after a bit, but you never really smell it. Let it sit, rest the nose, come back: banana, vanilla, bread pudding - actually sort of has a Nilla Wafer thing going on, which is kind of amazing because I hadn't thought of those things in like a decade plus until just now. Oaky, sort of vague pot still spices finish it out. P: Oh, that's dry - first thought. Smooth, coating, rich mouthfeel, but not quite rising to oily. Bitter finish. Struggling to grab specific flavor notes - it's a lot of dry, bitter, and tannic pucker. A cinnamon Red Hots type heat settles in late in the finish, but it's only in spots, not the tongue tattoo you get from some bourbons. Late in the pour, starting to get some vanilla and cherry, faintly sweet bread pudding, and maybe some sour green apple. There's a chalky, mineral aftertaste that you notice basically after the finish has run its course (still some lingering tingle, but mostly done). This makes me go back and think more in that direction while tasting: fresh pour comes across earthy and a bit like a hoppy beer. Maybe there's some pine needle in it. I feel like what I wrote above is not a great review. And really this is not a great whiskey, best I can tell. But it is kinda interesting and, after 2.5 months with this bottle—which is now about one pour from empty—I never hated it, never really thought that I was struggling to get a flavor profile (until I tried to write it down). It is very untraditional - for pot still or for whiskey generally. It's an experiment, with the Irish oak and all.* I dig that - probably not enough to buy it again, but certainly enough to take a chance on the next Glendalough bottle, Irish oak and all, and to recommend others do the same. I'd like to think there are innovations to be made in distilling. Glendalough seems to be looking for them. *The line between experiment and gimmick can be pretty thin, but this seems to land on the right side of that line. Trying a new wood seems inherently risky rather than an attempt to create and/or cash in on a trend - kudos to Glendalough for taking a shot.
    3. zidane3000

Tasted March 26, 2021
    4. oisinl

Tasted March 26, 2021
      Has that clear nuttiness that you'd associate with a west cork distillate. Buttery, biscuits, spicy and nutty. Big oak flavours evident. Spicy on the finish.
    5. MattV

Tasted March 25, 2021
    6. Rlechner

Tasted March 17, 2021
    7. valpoaj

Tasted March 5, 2021
      Been a while since I've put together a rating - such is life sometimes, but I've had a handful of new tastes, and its time to get back at it. This has a truly unique nose - if you brought this to me blind, I wouldn't be able to identify it as an Irish, but at the same time wouldn't tag it as Scotch, Bourbon, Japanese, or any other style - its out on the proverbial island. Somewhat floral, slightly resinous...mild sweetness, moderate spice, and quite complex. I think its safe to say I enjoy the nose, but it feels somewhat youthful. The flavor is similarly unique - wood-forward, and lacking the sweetness of, well, basically any other pot still Irish I've consumed (which admittedly isn't extensive). An easy sip, but not one you consume quickly. This is an intriguing bottle to have on the shelf - I'm happy to have it, but it will admittedly be an 'every so often when I'm looking for something unique' type pour
    8. Hector-Diaz1

Tasted February 27, 2021
    9. Colin-Crawford

Tasted February 25, 2021
    10. jcstylz

Tasted January 29, 2021
      Really digging this. Quite different from the buttery melon-y flavors I’m used to tasting in a pot still Irish. Nose: There is initially something that smells off with this dram. Maybe because I was expecting something a little more rounded and subtle like other pot stills. What greets you though is this sharp zesty, lemon, citrus note that sits atop the sweet buttery bread like notes. It’s floral, herbal-like, and piney, which I think comes from the last year sitting in the Irish oak. It’s different than something that sits only in American oak. It might turn some people off but I love something new and different. Palate: The taste for me is pretty damn up there. It’s not super oily which is a bummer . But like I said, I really like something that is different and throws me for a loop. The herbal, piney, almost tea like flavors get you up front. The citrus doesn’t come through on the palate, but the honey biscuit, buttery notes I love about pot stills shines through on the mids. The finish is moderately wood spiced but there isn’t a ton there if you take a single sip. If you take a few, it builds up. This reminds of those days where I’d walk along with my parents as a kid picking out a live Christmas tree. I remember touching every tree I could get my hands on and many times when leaving, I’d get pine residue on my fingers. I hated it because it was always a ***** to wash off but it always left this pine sap smell that this dram reminds me of.
    Results 1-10 of 22 Tastes