Requested By jsmit197

Coffee Liqueurs

Mr Black // Australia

Requested By jsmit197
  1. cascode

Appearance: In the bottle this liqueur is extremely dark brown, almost inky black. When poured as a small taste in a glencairn it is dark mahogany when held against a white background, and when held up to a strong light it is translucent hazy burnt sienna. Aroma: Most reviews I've seen have said that the aroma of this liqueur is like a cup of strong black coffee, but I'd differ. To me it smells precisely like freshly hand-ground espresso-roast arabica coffee beans. There is no alcohol aroma at all. Taste and Texture: Silken and velvety on the palate, it has excellent body but is not thick. It arrives soft and sweet but is not overly sugared. It develops precisely like a slightly sweetened caffè corretto, with the spike being vodka plus a couple of drops each of vanilla essence and sirop de cacao. The alcohol content is warming and comforting, and not at all hot or intrusive. This is not nearly as cloying as most coffee liqueurs, but in case you happen to have a sweet tooth and the thought of a bittersweet liqueur makes you have second thoughts, do not be concerned. This is still a sweet liqueur, just not as sickly sweet as most. It is, in fact, precisely like a cup of perfectly brewed, strong, Australian-style (i.e. European-style) black coffee with just enough sugar added to balance the bitterness. I could happily take a dram of this after dinner instead of my usual black coffee. There is just one final thing to mention. This is even superior to my home-made coffee liqueur, and that's something I never thought I would say. If there is a better coffee liqueur I have yet to taste it and I have no hesitation in giving this a perfect score. "Outstanding" : 5 stars
    56.0 AUD per Bottle
  2. SickBoy82

3. RichardL

4. RossChanChan

5. JDeschain

Good stuff! Its not too sweet but sweet enough for my drinks. Personally, I prefer less sugar in my cocktails than most recipes call for, and I add more to taste. Mr. Black has the dark, roasted chocolatey flavors of a 12-hour cold brew, my favorite brew method. You can taste the vodka too, but it blends well with the coffee flavors. Despite the 25% ABV, I can still feel the caffeine in this. Its becoming one of my favorite ingredients. So far, I've tried it on the rocks, White Russian, Black Russian, and a Revolver. The revolver is my preferred way to drink this, especially with a rye or high-rye bourbon. Its also great in milk and in milkshakes too. Honestly, I can't get enough of this stuff.
  6. whiskeyed

7. Neptune277

8. BigLEE

Bosscat Kitchen & Libations
  9. Soba45

12 years ago somewhere in a rat hole eastern Peruvian town I celebrated New Years eve. I smoked my last packet of cigarettes and from that point cigarettes and coffee were gone from my life. Coffee wasn't to hard. Cigarettes the first year I craved one when I drank, year two craved one when I drank and someone else was smoking near me. After that no problems. I had a sip of coffee once in a blue moon from my wifes and randomly tried stuff such as cold brew coffee from Japanese vending machines (you name it if they could fit it in there they sold it) but by in large caffeinated drinks gone from my life. Anyhow I bought Dancing Sands chocolate gin and my wife was keen to make a cocktail (which I generally avoid like the plague as way to sweet) so I found a recipe using their stuff: 45mls Chocolate Gin 30mls expresso shot (expertly done by my wife) 30mls coffee liquor Few pieces of 90% dark lindt thrown in Now I went hunting for a good Coffee Liquor, Tia Maria nope, others nope nope and then the liquor store guy recommended this. He pulled out one from under the counter, I got stuck in and thought very good quality, still a bit sweet for my taste but great drop non the less. Afterwards I checked distiller and there was a glowing review from @PBMichiganWolverine..validation! Wind forward to tonight I made the cocktail and long story bought to an end, not sure if I'll sleep tonight but.damn nice! These guys do a single bean variety which I will hunt down sometime.
  10. Andy72W