Track your collection with unlimited notes and bottle quantities
GET IT NOW:
If you want to add an image with your reviews install the app.
GET IT NOW:
Learn More About Cookies
Last of the bottle.
Nose: peat and smoke, light orchard fruit, vanilla. Sweet oak. Salt air.
Palate: peat, malt, gentle sweetness. Salinity. Vanilla, mild oak. Citrus zest. Smoked meat. French wine casks are noticeable here.
Finish: zesty, moderate length. Wood tannin and some phenols. Peaty.
February 15, 2024 (edited February 16, 2024)
5.0 out of 5 stars
The Port Charlotte 10 Years Old is a testament to the skill, tradition, and character of the Bruichladdich Distillery. Situated on the Isle of Islay, a region celebrated for its peated whiskies, the distillery is renowned for its commitment to terroir and innovation. Port Charlotte stands as a bold expression of Islay's deep-rooted distilling heritage, encapsulating the essence of its peated lineage while showcasing a modern twist on classic whisky-making.
Nose: The aroma of Port Charlotte 10 years is a complex symphony of peat smoke intertwined with the freshness of the ocean breeze. There is a notable presence of citrus zest and ripe orchard fruits, which gently pierce through the smoky veil, balanced by a subtle undercurrent of vanilla and toasted oak.
Palate: On the palate, this whisky unfolds with layers of rich smoke and peaty warmth, echoing the rugged Islay landscape. The initial smokiness gives way to a nuanced blend of sweetness, characterized by caramel, honey, and a hint of vanilla. This sweetness is perfectly complemented by a dash of spice and a maritime saltiness, reminiscent of seaweed and brine, which adds depth and complexity.
Finish: The finish is long, lingering, and satisfyingly warm. It leaves behind a memorable aftertaste of smoky peat, coupled with a refreshing minerality and the faintest hint of citrus, ensuring that each sip invites another.
Overall Impression: it's like a peaty firework in your mouth with wine notes at the end. Far more complex than Ardbeg/Laphroaig 10.
Interesting Facts About the Distillery and This Product:
- Sustainable Practices: The Bruichladdich Distillery is known for its forward-thinking approach to sustainability. It prioritizes local sourcing of barley and employs traditional distilling methods with minimal environmental impact, setting a benchmark in the industry for eco-conscious production.
- Innovation and Tradition: Despite its adherence to the rich distilling traditions of Islay, Bruichladdich is also a pioneer in whisky innovation. Port Charlotte 10 Years Old is a prime example of how the distillery marries peated tradition with contemporary tastes.
- Peat Provenance: The peat used in Port Charlotte is sourced directly from Islay, contributing to the whisky's distinctive flavor profile. This local peat imbues the spirit with a unique terroir, deeply rooted in the island's geography and history.
- Cask Maturation: The whisky is aged in a combination of first-fill American whiskey casks, second-fill American whiskey casks, and second-fill French wine casks. This meticulous cask selection process enhances the whisky's complexity and adds layers of flavor.
- Community and Heritage: The distillery maintains a strong connection to the Isle of Islay community, preserving its heritage while contributing to the local economy. Port Charlotte is not just a product but a celebration of Islay's people, land, and tradition.
In conclusion, Port Charlotte 10 Years Old is more than just a whisky; it is a journey through the heart of Islay, offering a profound sensory experience that resonates with both aficionados and newcomers alike. Its balance of peat, complexity, and nuanced flavors make it an exemplary representation of Islay's distilling prowess.