ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

Powers John's Lane Release 12 Year

Single Pot Still

Powers // Ireland

1. Phil-McGurk

2. mikekivido

3. alexey

This is a no-age-statement Irish whiskey. Color is pale straw (not sure if the caramel coloring was added), and the ABV is 46%, which gives the dram some medium viscosity. Nose is light, with a touch of malt, dust, caramel, and floral character, pretty typical for a single pot still triple-distilled Irish whiskey. The palate is a bit rough, with sharp arrival, some sweet notes, a touch of honey, lots of vanilla, and a touch of chocolate on the back. Finish is medium length, with some chocolate notes, more vanilla, and perhaps a touch of dried fruits. Not bad, but nothing complex here. A touch of water makes it much better. By the way, I see a touch of mist in the glass - has this been non-chill-filtered (it does not state so on the bottle)? The nose gets more floral character, the palate becomes sweeter with raisins, sultanas, pears, and citrus aftertones. The finish drops quite a bit of that vanilla, and changes to a more fruit-forward character. I would recommend adding water to this one for sure. Overall, this is a pretty light-bodied, but easily drinkable dram presented at decent ABV. Though I would have loved to see the age statement on this one, i can live without it. If I was to guess, I’d say maybe 5-6 years? Would I buy this again? Probably not, there are so many options out there that offer a much better bang for your buck in terms of complexity and enjoyment, but it’s not bad.
  4. glockbaum12

5. Mike-Fulkerson

6. LL

I normally stick to bourbon but I got a few samples of this at axe tonight. Delicious and very drinkable!
  7. Silo

Nose hits with an old grass, maybe like the grass that clings to the bottom of a lawn mower? Maybe a old fruit note. I little floral note and slight honey. The taste is very honey. One of the most honey flavored Irish that I have had. Also Carmel There is also a floral taste. Very nice. Very old school taste if that is a thing. I enjoy this a lot.
  8. alexrad

9. dcubes

10. Whiskey_Hound

As much as I love Scotch and bourbon, I'll never turn down a good Irish single malt/single pot still. This one happens to be the latter, and a highly-regarded one at that. Let's get into it. Nose: Immediately I get some green apple, pear, and honeydew. Shortbread cookie, toffee, malt, honey, and vanilla. Nutty as well: roasted chestnut, pecan, walnut, almond, cashew. Caramel and a rare biscotti note. A little apricot and just a touch of poundcake, plum, and raisin. Oak, clove, nutmeg. After considerable time in the glass, I get some tropical notes: coconut, pineapple, and, orange. Strong nose. Palate: More of the green apple, pear, and honeydew, as well as the shortbread cookie, biscotti, toffee, honey, and vanilla. Caramel and milk chocolate. Roasted pineapple, zesty orange, and ginger spice. Plum and raisin. More walnut, chestnut, toasted almond. Oak. Finish: Plum and raisin all the way. The almond, walnut, and chestnut are also present. Then the spices hit. Cinnamon, black pepper, clove, nutmeg, and a respectable hit of oak. Long finish, which is impressive at 46% ABV. One of my new favorites. Definitely one of the best values coming out of Ireland. Dangerously drinkable but also very complex. Along with the Knappogue Castle Wine Cask finish series, this sets the standard for 12-year old Irish Whiskey; scratch that, Irish whiskey in general. Fantastic value. I paid $67 and it was worth every damn penny. It's a hair behind Knappogue Castle's WCFS offerings--which quite honestly says a lot. Impressive whiskey, one that I'd highly recommend to any experienced drinker.