Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star 8 Year

Barbancourt // Haiti

1. Griffin1845

2. WPansa

3. JDeschain

*I must state that I've never had a rhum agricole from Martinique, so I cannot compare tastings between the two countries.* I poured a few ounces into a glencairn and let it breath for a few minutes. On the nose, I get some light sugary vanilla notes. There's a bit of ripe banana and citrus in there too. I, also, smell that grassy note many others have found. Its not off-putting. It reminds me a bit of some 100% rye whiskeys I've tried. The taste has that initial grassy note too. Its followed by some sugary sweetness and a tinge of salt. There's a hint of dried tropical fruits, and then it fades into oak and spice. The finish is long, dry, and leaves a tingling, peppery feel. This rhum is very interesting and a departure from your molasses-based rums. There's complexity here, but its subtle. I heard there's a tiny bit of added sugar in this juice, but its not overly sweet. I really enjoy this.
  4. bigwhitemike

Middle-of-the-road golden hue, with a touch of a deeper, rich orange. Thin body with nondescript, slow to form legs. A simple butter, vanilla, and pepper nose. Appealing, but not special, and handicapped by the ethanol in longer nosings. Builds gradually and will eventually singe the nostrils. Creamy with a gentle sweetness. Cooked carrots supply a coppery vegetal note. Caramel and vanilla take center stage, as one would expect given the significant duration of residence in a Caribbean cask, but ultimately it can't escape the brassy Agricole influence. Oaky astringency appears after every sip. Fresh jalapeno spice lingers throughout the finish - assertively capsaicin rather than piperine. Draws saliva, increasing the apparent body and creaminess. Approachable and acceptable, especially for the price. A bit simple for (the equivalent of) an Agricole Vieux, but you can do far worse for your money. I will keep a bottle on the shelf for a pour or cocktail that needs a creamy, long-aged oak body, without losing the punch of a fresh cane distillate. I'd likely lean towards Martinique producers for a more complex (and expensive) aged sipper, however.
  5. BoogieBuddyMike

lots of vanilla and caramel on the palate. Good but there's nothing that interesting about it. This is the first French style rum I've had, and in all honesty it didn't taste much different from an English style rum to me. I'm a little disappointed, but I can understand the appeal of this particular rum.
  6. Podrzebie